Thursday 23 November 2017

Clinical first-half gives Celtic edge

Adamstown improved after interval

Dean Goodison

The successful Gorey Celtic squad before Saturday's victory on home soil
The successful Gorey Celtic squad before Saturday's victory on home soil
The Adamstown squad whose improved second-half display wasn't enough to earn victory

A clinical first-half performance propelled Gorey Celtic past a spirited Adamstown and into the second round of the Wexford and District Schoolboys Under-12 Cup in Mullaunfin on Saturday.

Gorey Celtic 3 Adamstown 0

The hosts nabbed all three of their goals in the opening half, including two in a minute as the period moved to a conclusion, to leave the visitors with an uphill task in the second-half.

To their credit, Adamstown never gave in. They battled away and were able to match a side playing two divisions higher for much of the second 30 minutes.

However, it didn't take Celtic long to settle into their passing game and they tested visiting 'keeper Dara Thorpe within three minutes when Evan Roche had a crack at goal.

There was nothing the Adamstown netminder could do to deny Tim Ivers moments later when he broke away from the defence and smashed an unstoppable shot into the top right corner of the net.

While Gorey had the better of things, Adamstown stars Pat Monaghan, Philip Wickham and Conor Mernagh all won corners on breakaways. Yet, it was easy to see why Celtic have kept three clean sheets in their five league games as they defended the set-pieces perfectly.

The home side went 2-0 up in the 27th minute when Roche's corner from the right wing fell to Oisín Byrne. The Gorey substitute, only on the field a matter of seconds, made no mistake, drilling high to the Adamstown net.

Only in the process of recovering from the concession of a second, the travelling team allowed a third moments after the re-start.

This time Byrne played the provider role for Brendan Bolger, affording the imperious midfielder the time and space to fire low past Thorpe.

Adamstown came out determined to make an impact after the resumption. Ben Sinnott just missed the telling touch to Conor Mernagh's blocked shot after solid work by Richard Whelan. Then Pádraig Jones made a smart save from Daniel O'Gorman, after he was slipped in by Wickham.

When the goal didn't come in the third quarter, the air slowly seeped out of the Adamstown charge.

Gorey had a couple of chances in the latter stages, with Fabio Feitinha and Roche both drawing saves from Thorpe.

However, the damage was done in the first-half and the hosts were able to play out an impressive victory. In the second round Celtic have been given a tricky assignment of a trip to unbeaten Bunclody. That fixtures will be played in the coming weeks.

Gorey Celtic: Pádraig Jones; Malachy Cathcart, Pádraig Poole, Daniel Bolger; Tim Ivers, Brendan Bolger, Eoghan Carroll; Evan Roche (capt.), Fabio Feitinha. Subs. - Oisín Byrne for Carroll (25), Tadhg McShane for Roche (28), Joel Page for Cathcart (28), Roche for Feitinha (45), Carroll for Ivers (45), Cathcart for Bolger (50).

Adamstown: Dara Thorpe; Conor Mernagh, Daniel Ruaine (capt.), Richard Whelan; Daniel O'Gorman, Philip Wickham, Pat Monaghan; Ben Sinnott, Joshua Power. Subs. - Ben Rochford for Power (31), Liam Furlong for Sinnott (40), Power for Whelan (49).

Referee: James Doyle.

Wexford People

Promoted Links