Tuesday 12 December 2017

Corey mans Ireland goal

Gorey lad Corey Chambers before the Czech Republic game
Gorey lad Corey Chambers before the Czech Republic game

Gorey goalkeeper Corey Chambers earned an Under-18 international cap against the Czech Republic on Monday of last week.

The Bray Wanderers netminder was in action in a 3-1 friendly defeat to the visitors in Home Farm F.C's ground in Whitehall.

Paul Doolin's side had won 4-0 when the sides met two days earlier, but the wind and rain led to a scrappy affair in the re-match and the visitors were more clinical with their chances.

The Czechs started well with Patrik Haitl forcing a top save from Chambers in just the fifth minute when he flicked towards goal from a right wing cross.

Libor Holík also drew an impressive stop from Chambers in the 15th minute, but six minutes later the Czech Rebublic opened the scoring.

Ireland levelled in the 33rd minute when Liam Brady - brother of Norwich star Robbie - fired home from a penalty kick.

Two minutes into the second-half Haitl hit the post again with a close range effort after Chambers had saved his initial effort.

The Czechs restored their lead in the 55th minute when substitute Dominik Breda turned the ball home from close range after connecting with a low delivery from the right.

Chambers made another good stop to keep out a Breda effort with his feet in the 61st minute, and the scoring was competed in the 64th minute when the Czechs broke from an Irish corner and Inter Milan striker Dominik Smékal slotted past the advancing netminder who got through a lot of good work over the 90 minutes.

Meanwhile, another Wexford lad making waves on the soccer fields continued his fantastic goalscoring exploits on Wednesday when Shamrock Rovers beat Waterford United 3-2 in the National Under-17 League quarter-final. Aaron Dobbs, who had scored 18 times in the twelve group games, hit the target again as the Tallaght-based club knocked out the Deise lads who were led by Good Counsel student Eoin Porter from Rathgarogue-Cushinstown.

Shamrock Rovers went on to reach the final over the weekend with a 5-3 extra-time win over Cork City, although Dobbs wasn't on the mark this time.

He will be hoping he still has a few goals in reserve for the decider against Dublin rivals St. Patrick's Athletic who beat Mervue United 4-1.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links