Sunday 17 December 2017

Cuddihy does the trick for Barntown

Glynn boys keep U11 title dream alive

Dean Goodison

Glynn Barntown who accounted for St. Cormac's in Boolavogue on Saturday
Glynn Barntown who accounted for St. Cormac's in Boolavogue on Saturday
St. Cormac's
Hat-trick hero Tristan Cuddihy comes up against Michael Kehoe

Glynn Barntown kept their Wexford and District Schoolboys Soccer Under-11 Division 2 title dreams alive with an impressive victory away to St. Cormac's on Saturday.

Glynn Barntown 3 St. Cormac's 1

Just a point separated the sides in the table before the game, with both clinging to hopes of catching runaway leaders Curracloe United. However, only one team emerged with their chances enhanced.

It was clear to see why these sides are so close in the standings. Both played football on the deck, looking to use the width of the pitch to their advantage and stretch their opponents' defence.

Yet it was Glynn Barntown who possessed a little something extra - they had a bang in-form Tristan Cuddihy up front. The diminutive striker scored all three goals for his side, with each finish cooler than the one that preceded it.

St. Cormac's certainly had the better of the game until the visitors took the lead. They bossed the opening quarter and had several chances to open the scoring.

Ciarán Murphy was first to try his luck, firing over from the edge of the area. Bobby Codd then saw his effort deflected but Fionn Nolan got down low to pull off a smart save, despite diving the wrong way.

Seán Og Gilbride was next to pop a shot just over the crossbar and, moments later, sent over a tantalising cross from the right that Alex Keegan just couldn't reach when stretching for the header.

When Glynn Barntown took the lead in the 14th minute it was the product of some fantastic passing. Andrew O'Brien, Cathal Sinnott and Oscar Ramsey were all involved in the build-up and Cuddihy applied the finishing touches from close range.

The goal gave the visitors confidence. Cuddihy poked a shot that Callum Byrne did well to save before Sinnott drilled narrowly wide.

Glynn Barntown went two up just before the break and again it was Cuddihy firing home after a superb inter-play with Andrew O'Brien on the left.

While chances were few and far between in the third quarter, the pattern of the game, with Glynn Barntown passing the ball around and controlling things, continued. Eventually they did make it three when Cuddihy latched on to another O'Brien pass and calmly slotted past Byrne.

That actually proved to be the last really good chance that the visitors created. From somewhere, St. Cormac's drew on their reserves of energy and controlled the final quarter.

The Boolavogue boys pulled a goal back with seven minutes remaining when James O'Leary latched on to Evan Dunne's pass, saw his initial shot saved by Nolan but was able to convert the rebound.

An absolutely stunning double save by Nolan, from Dunne and then Alex Keegan, kept the score at 3-1 and that's the way it finished as Glynn Barntown moved up to second, five points behind leaders Curracloe.

Glynn Barntown: Fionn Nolan; Rory Gallagher (capt.), Craig Laffan; Andrew O'Brien, Tom Deavy, Cathal Sinnott; Tristan Cuddihy. Sub. (rolling) - Oscar Ramsey.

St. Cormac's: Callum Byrne; Tomás Walsh, Seán Og Gilbride; Bobby Codd, Michael Kehoe (capt.), Alex Keegan; Ciarán Murphy. Subs. (rolling) - Jack Turner, Evan Dunne, Jack Ellix, James O'Leary.

Referee: Ger Cleary.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links