Saturday 25 November 2017

Cup and league action continues for Over-35s

Taghmon United took on Campile United in a top of the table Richie Dwyer Over-35 soccer league clash in front of a large crowd in Horetown, with both teams knowing that a win would give them a boost towards the title.

It was a tight first-half with chances for both sides, but Taghmon broke the deadlock just on the stroke of half-time when Joey Sinnott passed the ball to Colin Bent who struck it clinically to put them 1-0 up.

The second-half saw Campile coming out fighting and they looked like they were going to equalise when they were awarded a penalty 14 minutes later. However, it was saved well by Taghmon 'keeper Malcolm Mcloughlin.

That miss did not deter Campile and they kept on fighting hard as Malcolm was called on to make a number of saves. Taghmon then sealed the game with only minutes remaining when a cross by Ger Power was headed into the net by Ian Stafford.

Taghmon almost got a third shortly afterwards when a free-kick by Kieran Kelly just skimmed over the crossbar. The win now sees Taghmon top of the table with only three rounds of fixtures remaining.

Kilmore United 1, All Blacks 1: After a slow and tentative start by both teams, the first real chance of this local derby fell to Jay Malone after ten minutes when his free-kick was headed off the line by Brendan Mulligan.

Playing with the wind in the first-half, the home team did take the lead on the 20-minute mark when Jay Malone broke through from midfield and his swerving shot found the net.

The dominance continued for the remainder of the half and Clint Kehoe had a great opportunity to add to the tally but he blazed over.

After the break the visitors took the upper hand and came close twice, with Pat Sinnott hitting both the post and crossbar from free-kicks.

The hosts were relying on counter-attacks and with ten minutes to go they had the chance to double their tally when a pinpoint cross by Dave Smith was headed just wide by Jay Malone.

With time nearly up James Delaney sent in a ball from the right wing into the box where the diminutive Dave Coughlan guided a header into the bottom corner to ensure the team based in Mayglass went home with a share of the spoils that their second-half display warranted.

Duncannon 0, Corach Ramblers 4: Duncannon entertained Corach Rambler, looking to build on their great cup win the previous week. Corach, with title aspirations, were going to prove a tough challenge.

The game started at a frantic pace with the home side almost going one up in the first minute. Corach grew into the game and Niall Murphy in particular was causing problems for Duncannon.

Fifteen minutes in, Pat Chapman made a great run in behind the defence, but was unlucky to see his shot saved by the Corach 'keeper.

Then the game turned in Corach's favour as a Niall Murphy shot was turned into his own net by a Duncannon defender, and within two mins Alan Diskin had doubled the lead.

The second-half started like the first, at a frantic pace, but with Duncannon having to push men forward to try to get back into the game.

Wayne Whitty with a header and Alan Diskin with a second late on secured the points for a very impressive Corach, who in truth dominated most of the second-half and the longer the game went on their superior fitness was plain to see.

St. Leonards 0, Fastnet Rovers 0: Fastnet Rovers travelled to Dunmain to take on St. Leonards with both teams needing the win to stay in league contention. Both teams showed great determination in defence and chances were at a premium.

Paul Whelan produced a great save to deny Fastnet a clear chance. Moments later Leonards were denied a goal chance when Edwin Molloy was played in on goal by Pat Byrne, but some stern defending kept the score at 0-0.

With both defences on top, the game finished honours even. It was a game played in great spirits and the draw was probably the fairest result.

The four quarter-finals in the Cup were held recently, resulting in wins for Raheen, Duncannon, Campile United and Taghmon United.

Kilmore United 0, Raheen 2: On a bright, breezy evening in front of a good crowd, the visitors booked their place in the semis with a 2-0 win.

The game started evenly and the home team had the first real opportunity when Seán Bates played a ball into Gary Wilson whose attempted finish just failed to hit the target.

Raheen slowly began to get the upper hand and took the lead midway through the first-half in confusing circumstances. With a player from either team challenging for a breaking ball near the halfway line, the referee blew the whistle and pointed to indicate a free to Kilmore.

The home team had moved players forward for the anticipated delivery towards the Raheen penalty area when it transpired in some quarters that the free was actually meant to be for Raheen.

Having realised this they duly took it quickly and it ended up with Mark Lee putting the ball in the net. The goal stood and for the remainder of the first-half the visitors were in command with both James Furlong and Dylan Whitty having great chances to score.

The hosts came out in the second-half with more purpose. Chances were created with Martin Hayes, Willie Keating and Dave Smith going close before a James Lowry effort failed to get through a crowded penalty area.

With the game nearing its conclusion Kilmore pushed even more men forward, but with four minutes to go they got hit on the counter-attack with Shane Whelan netting Raheen's second to rubber stamp the victory and send them into the semi-final.

St. Leonards 0, Duncannon 1: The quarter-final of the cup was played in perfect conditions in sunny Dunmain. Both teams started cautiously with chances at a premium.

The away team snatched the lead when a good through ball allowed Duncannon's Dixie Chapman a run on goal, and he composed himself well before bending the ball into the right side of the Leonards net to take the lead before the break.

The second-half was played at a higher tempo with Leonards pushing for an equaliser and Willie Murphy's effort coming closest - clipping the crossbar. Duncannon held on though to book their place in the semi-final.

All Blacks 0, Campile United 2: All Blacks hosted the quarter-final cup game against league leaders Campile. In almost picture perfect conditions both sides balanced each other out, with Campile having good early chances.

All Blacks struggled in the first-half to gain traction against Campile's defence and midfield. The first goal came from an excellent right-sided attack by Campile, with a 50 /50 ball being won n the area and punted home by John Whitty after 13 minutes.

All Blacks steadied with good attacks but failed to capitalise as Campile were winning the physical battles in the early stages. As expected, Campile's bench and aerial dominance created more chances in the second-half.

As substitutes rolled on and off, the warm summer's evening taking its toll on fitness, Campile once again led a good sweeping attack with Jim Wall on the end of it to add their second goal.

David Coughlan, returning to the field, was unlucky not to capatalise from a header soon after, and Thady Redmond battled hard all night up front with Dara Ward. Playmaker and creator Alan Jones in the middle of the park left no stone unturned.

In defence Mark Byrne, David Rice and Brendan Mulligan fought bravely all night, but Campile United progressed.

Corach Ramblers 0, Taghmon United 1: Corach welcomed Taghmon United to Danescastle on a beautiful summer's evening.

After a scoreless first-half, a corner from Taghmon United was headed back across goal and Jason McLoughlin found himself in space to finish well low to the net beyond Toddy Barry.

From then on Corach had most of the ball as they pushed forward in search of the equaliser, but apart from a few half chances from Emmet Deering and Alan Diskin, Taghmon looked comfortable in defence as they were happy to sit back and absorb whatever Corach could muster.

One final Corach attack saw the ball break on the edge of the box to Marty Keane whose fierce shot came back off the crossbar. The final whistle sounded to send Taghmon into the semi-final whilst Corach play in the shield.

Wexford People

Promoted Links