Saturday 20 January 2018

Danny wins derby for Wexford Albion

Brendan Furlong at Sinnottstown Lane

Danny Walsh drew on all his skills two minutes from the end of extra-time to shoot a dramatic winning goal to send Wexford Albion 'B' into the next round of the Wexford Youth Cup as a result of this fully-merited victory over Wexford Celtic at Sinnottstown Lane on Saturday.

Wexford Celtic 0 Wexford Albion 'B' 1 (AET)

One goal was always going to be enough as both sides struggled in the heavy underfoot conditions. Referee Derek Campion did well to complete the game as the conditions deteriorated as it progressed. Indeed, in extra-time it became almost impossible as the ball began to stick in the heavy ground.

But credit to both sides as they still managed to serve up some entertaining football with lots of goalmouth incidents.

Both had gone close to breaking the deadlock but then it looked as if not even extra-time would separate them, until Walsh popped up with that late dramatic winner which prevented the game going to the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

The respective back fours were absolutely marvellous through the opening 45 minutes. Ben McMahon and Darragh Whelan were outstanding at the back for Albion, while at the opposite end Brian Sweetman and Seán Hopkins dealt capably with the Albion front players to ensure their goal was kept intact.

Wexford Albion looked dangerous on the quick counter-attack, with T.J. Cousins getting close to touching a Danny Walsh low cross which went across the face of the goal and just wide.

Celtic may well have taken the lead after 20 minutes when Conor Gormley found himself in space but he directed his shot straight at the Albion 'keeper, Luke Hebblethwaite, who handled the greasy ball excellently.

These were the two best chances of an even opening half that saw the sides go in 0-0 at the interval.

The second-half saw both sides up the tempo of their game despite the testing conditions. It was tough and difficult for the players but still Albion looked quite dangerous through the third quarter as both David Tennant, with a fine drive, and Danny Walsh, went close to breaking the deadlock.

Celtic still managed to mount a period of pressure but despite much goalmouth action, both Eoghan Reck and James Quinn saw efforts from close in fly just wide.

Neither side was able to break the deadlock, with the teams still 0-0 at the end of 90 minutes, bringing the game to extra-time.

For a while it looked as if it would be difficult to complete the game as the underfoot conditions continued to deteriorate.

Just to prove how difficult it was, neither side could manage an attempt on goal during the first period of extra-time.

Wexford Albion wasted little time in taking the initiative in the second period of extra-time though as they increased the pressure on the home goal.

The breakthrough eventually arrived two minutes from the end when Danny Walsh showed neat footwork in front of goal to create space before sending a low shot beyond 'keeper Adam O'Leary into the bottom right-hand corner of the net, giving his side a dramatic and deserved victory and a place in the third round draw.

Wexford Celtic: Adam O'Leary, Cathal Hillis, Dylan Kehoe, Brian Sweetman, Seán Hopkins, Ethan Lahiff, James Quinn, Conor Gormley, Eoghan Reck, Matthew Creane, Fiach McGuire. Subs. - Ben Creane, Ciarán Mullen, Lee Whelan, Alex Brum, Alan Browne.

Wexford Albion: Luke Hebblethwaite, Lee Moran, Tiernan McGuire, Ben McMahon, Darragh Whelan, David Tennant, Jay Barnes, T.J. Cousins, Jason Moore, John Winters, Danny Walsh. Subs. - Seán Crosbie, Nace Rossiter, Nace Boyce.

Referee: Derek Campion.

Wexford People

Promoted Links