Monday 20 November 2017

Donohoe earns draw for Moyne

Brendan Furlong

Aaron Lambert of Wexford Bohs closes in on Bobby Keating of Moyne Rangers
Aaron Lambert of Wexford Bohs closes in on Bobby Keating of Moyne Rangers
Shane McGrath of Wexford Bohs and Nathan Quinn of Moyne battle for the ball

Dylan Donohoe celebrated with an injury time goal as it helped his side, Moyne Rangers, to a dramatic late draw with Wexford Bohemians in their Premier Division Youths game in Drinagh on Saturday.

Wexford Bohemians 3 Moyne Rangers 3

For Moyne Rangers it was a deserved draw as they had controlled lengthy passages of the game, but the concession of a second-half goal came ever so close to seeing them leave empty-handed.

They had to battle from behind during the second period, but those fighting qualities saw them snatch a dramatic equalising goal five minutes into additional time.

Wexford Bohs may have seen the three points slip from their grasp but they can have few complaints. They contributed to the second-half drama in no small manner but, having regained the lead, they should have been able to hold out.

In similar circumstances to the earlier levelling goal though, they were caught flat-footed to a high cross into the area which led to them conceding the vital third goal.

In the end perhaps a share of the points was the best result as neither side deserved to go away without something to show for their efforts.

Moyne Rangers started well, controlling midfield where Robert Browne and Ryan Larkin were dictating the play.

Eight minutes into the game a fine Browne ball forward picked out Dylan Donohoe but his shot was well held by 'keeper Jonathan Molloy, while five minutes later Mick Kearns saw a right-footed attempt fly just outside the post, with his low effort across the face of goal having beaten Molloy.

Wexford Bohemians then began to put the pressure on the visitors and had a couple of chances to take the lead. The pick of them came on 21 minutes when Aaron Roche found space in front of goal but pulled his effort over the top from a very good position.

The opening goal arrived four minutes before the break and it was from a dead-ball situation. Moyne Rangers forced a free-kick some 25 metres to the right of goal and Robert Allen floated an excellent ball over the three-man wall into the top right-hand corner of the net, giving his side a 1-0 interval lead which was no more than they deserved.

There was plenty of drama through the opening ten minutes of the second-half as a rejuvenated Bohs set about searching for an equalising goal.

Following a period of incessant pressure, they eventually forced the breakthrough in the 54th minute when a Shane McGrath free-kick caused all sorts of problems for the visitors' back four who failed to clear, leaving Aaron Lambert to force the ball home from close in and make it 1-1.

Two minutes later Moyne regained the lead when Joshua O'Byrne saw his low right-footed shot find the bottom corner of the net. But Bohs continued to rescue themselves with a 61st-minute Shane McGrath free kick making it 2-2, while they took the lead for the first time in the 74th minute through a Cormac Jones close-range effort, putting them 3-2 in front.

When it looked as if Bohs would hold out for the three points, Dylan Donohoe popped up with that dramatic equalising goal five minutes into additional time.

Wexford Bohemians: Jonathan Molloy, Aaron Goodison, Seán Grayson, Lee Dowling, Paul McManus, Craig Kelly, Jack Redmond, Luke Brennan, Aaron Lambert, Aaron Roche, Shane McGrath. Subs. - Robert Donnelly, Dermot Maher, Cormac Jones, Alex Bergin, Ryan Byrne.

Moyne Rangers: Aaron Gannon, Bobby Keating, Luke Carty, Jack Bolger, Robert Allen, Robert Rowsome, Ryan Larkin, Mick Kearns, Dylan Donohoe, Joshua O'Byrne, Tyler O'Connor. Subs. - Robert Clifford, Willie Doyle, Danny Branson, Niall Kane, Nathan Quinn.

Referee: Francis Sinnott.

Wexford People

Promoted Links