Saturday 16 December 2017

Fastnet beat neighbours

Fastnet Rovers 2 Kilmore United 0

Another local derby in the Richie Dwyer Over-35 soccer Shield semi-final pitted Fastnet Rovers and Kilmore United together, where a place in the final against Corach Ramblers was the prize on offer.

The first-half was a cagey affair with neither team venturing too many players forward. Fastnet looked comfortable at the back with Darren Walsh winning a lot of the aerial duals, and Liam Murphy looking composed as ever and orchestrating from his own half.

Kilmore at the other end looked equally as comfortable and limited Fastnet to the odd long-range effort. Colin Benson was assured as always, and Jimmy Benson in the goal looked comfortable throughout a first-half in which both teams were happy to keep possession and not compromise an obvious defensive gameplan. It was no surprise therefore that it was scoreless at half-time.

Fastnet started brightest and after six minutes they won a free on the edge of the box which was blazed over by Dermot Cullen.

Soon after a Kilmore free-kick from the right side near the touchline was floated into the Fastnet area and eluded everyone before rebounding off the post and being scrambled to safety.

Fastnet then moved Darren Hunt up front and what a move that proved to be. Some good work down the right flank saw the ball played across goal by Terry Walsh to the unmarked Hunt who made no mistake from eight yards out.

And two minutes later it was 2-0 as Hunt again picked the ball up outside the area, ghosted past two defenders and poked the ball under the onrushing Jimmy Benson and into the corner of the net for a wonderful individual goal.

Kilmore to their credit almost pulled one back soon after when the hard-working Jay Malone forced a great save from Dermot Reville. With the industrious back four of Fastnet all on their game, it was going to be very difficult to break them down.

Jay Malone found space hard to come by and was tracked wonderfully throughout by Dermot Cullen and Stevie Moran who had their homework done on the Kilmore playmaker.

With five minutes to go Dermot Cullen picked up what looked like a nasty injury, and Fastnet will be hoping he can make a speedy recovery for the final as they deservedly held out for the victory and more importantly, will maintain the bragging rights until they meet again.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links