Thursday 22 August 2019

Fastnet in flying form


ANOTHER MASTER class display from the veteran Liam ' Whacker' Murphy showed Fastnet Rovers the way as they cruised to a comfortable three-goal victory over a battling Boolavogue side in this Gwyn Jones Cup final played in sunny Curracloe on Sunday afternoon last.

While it was a brave showing from Boolavogue, there was seldom any doubt as to where the honours were going to eventually lie, as the experienced Murphy dictated this game out of central midfield, with his clinical passing and movement creating the space and opportunities for those around him.

While Boolavogue responded to the challenge early on with some promising attacks of their own, they lacked a player of Murphy's experience and ability, and with their front players unable to make any worthwhile impression, they seldom threatened Kevin Whelan in the eventual winners' goal.

Fastnet Rovers showed their ability from the kick-off as they built some promising early attacks, with Lee Jordan and P.J. Fanning both going close to breaking the deadlock. Jordan had his shot well held by 'keeper Johnny Murphy, while Fanning's effort just slid the wrong side of the post.

While Fastnet were bossing this game, Boolavogue did manage some promising counter-attacks, but were restricted to a couple of long-range efforts from Paul Doyle and Ian Devlin, and they did not seriously test 'keeper Whelan.

As the half wore on Fastnet Rovers eventually got the breakthrough they had threatened for so long, with Liam Murphy playing Fanning in, and the winger made no mistake, easily beating 'keeper Johnny Murphy from just inside the area, a score that left it 1-0 at the interval.

Boolavogue failed to show the necessary improvement on the resumption although both Mark McDonagh and Ian Devlin did show some nice touches in midfield, but Paul Doyle, even when driving forward out of midfield, lacked sufficient support to enable his side claw that goal back.

Ten minutes into the second period Kevin Walsh had a low shot blocked away to safety, but as the Fastnet Rovers pressure increased, their second goal eventually arrived midway through the second period, with Kevin Walsh finding the net with a fine effort from the edge of the area, leaving his side leading 2-0, and looking well on their way to lifting the cup.

Boolavogue huffed and puffed but all the quality football was coming from Fastnet as Murphy had grasped this game with his influential midfield role.

It was a move initiated by Murphy that killed off any hope of a Bollavogue recovery as Fanning got on the end of it to fire his side's third goal, leaving no way back for their beleagured opponents.

Boolavogue were unable to change the course of the game as Fastnet Rovers maintained their dominance on proceedings to deservedly lift their first piece of silverware this season.