Thursday 14 December 2017

Gerry Dunbar was Wexford Celtic's saviour on Sunday last


WEXFORD CELTIC 3 GLENCORMAC 2 SUB GERRY DUNBAR repaid the faith placed in him when he slid home a 70th-minute goal to give Wexford Celtic a hard-earned victory over battling Glencormac in this Leinster Junior Cup first found game played at Sinnottstown Lane on Sunday morning.

Wexford Celtic may not have been enjoying the best of starts to their league campaign, but this was a welcome boost to their suffering supporters as they just about deserved this result, although they had to live anxiously in the closing seconds as Kevin Reddin lifted a great chance over the top which would have forced extratime.

Celtic, under the management of Tim McGrath, who had spells with Glawgow Celtic and Waterford, gave little indication of what was to follow as they started slowly, allowing Glencormac to dominate the opening 15 minutes. The Wicklow side looked quite impressive through this spell, taking a deserved lead after just ten minutes.

Having played some patient football, it was Stephen Jenkins who played a delightful ball into the path of Kevin Reddin whose shot from all of 25 metres found its way to the right-hand corner of the net. They went close on a couple of further occasions to extending their lead but both Reddin and Devlin saw shots fly just the wrong side of the right-hand post.

After 17 minutes Celtic came close to equalising but Peter Murphy pulled his shot wide, while one minute later Willie Lambert shot straight at 'keeper Patrick King from about five metres when clear in on goal. Twenty-two minutes in, Lambert atoned for this miss when he rounded the advancing 'keeper to tap into an empty goal, making it 1-1.

There was still a lot of positive football being played by Glencormac, with Reddin forcing a fine save out of 'keeper Martin Doran, before the home side took the lead seven minutes before the break when a Richard Hore shot found its way through a packed goalmouth, finishing in the corner of net and leaving his side with a 2-1 interval lead.

The visitors continued to play some fine attacking football on the resumption as they pinned the home side back on defence. They got a deserved equaliser on 63 minutes when Ian Reddin cut into the area before lobbing advancing 'keeper Doran for an excellent goal.

But Wexford Celtic managed to turn things around with the introduction of substitute Dunbar. Dunbar looked lively down the left wing as he teased and tormented the visitors' back four with some fine runs. After 70 minutes, Dunbar raced on to a through ball from Richard Hore to slide under the body of the advancing 'keeper, helping his side regain the lead.

The home side should have wrapped up the game ten minutes later but Simon Hussey's weak shot was well held by 'keeper King.

Then with the game in the closing seconds, Reddin was presented with a great equalising chance but lifted his effort over the bar when it seemed easier to score.

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links