Tuesday 21 January 2020

Gorey secure deserved win over holders Moyne

Wexford Football League: Gorey Rangers 2 Moyne Rangers 1

Lenny Connolly of Moyne Rangers breaking away from Ryan Cullen (Gorey Rangers) during Sunday’s Premier Division clash in Ramstown
Lenny Connolly of Moyne Rangers breaking away from Ryan Cullen (Gorey Rangers) during Sunday’s Premier Division clash in Ramstown

Brian Carty

Gorey Rangers announced that they are here to stay in the title race when they secured a deserved 2-1 victory over reigning champions Moyne Rangers in Sunday's T.J. Murphy's Sports Bar Premier Division tie in Ramstown.

Boasting the meanest defence in the league, with just four goals conceded in their six games so far, victory sees the home side open up a five-point gap on the Moyne with a game in hand.

Still active in national cup competition, and with a few regulars to force their way back into the first eleven, the sky could well be the limit for this Gorey side as they chase the ultimate spoils.

But they wouldn't want to produce too many inert displays like the one in the first-half here if they are to continue to keep up the pace, as they were profligate up front, while their passing wasn't as crisp and assertive as what followed after the break.

Moyne Rangers took a deserved lead after eight minutes when the first real moment of quality saw John Peare square the ball back to Ryan Mahon, and the influential midfielder seemed to wrong-foot Seán Allen as his shot from outside the box nestled in the corner of the net.

To be fair, Gorey initiated an immediate response when the livewire Adam Territt was played clear but his snapshot was parried at close-range by former Wexford football netminder Conor Swaine.

Captain Stephen Kinsella swung in a free from the left wing which Stephen Moloney headed just over for the hosts, while Territt shot tamely at Swaine soon after.

The visitors didn't create many clearcut chances in comparison, but by the same token they were never duly threatened by many of Gorey's openings either.

That said, Territt had a glorious chance two minutes before half-time when he nipped in ahead of Swaine, only to see his shot strike the butt of the far post with the goal at his mercy.

And Territt continued his ongoing battle with Swaine on 57 minutes when he rounded the goalkeeper - getting wiped out of it in the process - before squaring to unmarked strike-partner Dylan Vickers, and he had all the time in the world to roll to the empty net.

With the eventual victors growing in confidence, Moyne Rangers' goal somehow survived unscathed 16 minutes later when first Vickers and then Ryan Cullen were both thwarted amid a goalmouth flurry.

But a late winner seemed inevitable, and it duly arrived eight minutes from the end of regulation time when Kinsella produced another top-drawer dead-ball delivery, and Jonathan Savage rose highest to glance to the bottom corner.

Moyne Rangers have won three and drawn two of their seven games to date, but are fully cognisant that league titles are won when the evenings get longer.

Gorey Rangers: Seán Allen; Conor Casserly, Jonathan Savage, Stephen Moloney, Ryan Cullen; Mark Woods, Gavin O'Brien, Stephen Kinsella (capt.), Paul Brennan; Adam Territt, Dylan Vickers. Subs. - Dylan Vickers for Territt (76), David Christie for Woods (87).

Moyne Rangers: Conor Swaine; Rory O'Connor, Anthony Russell, Pa O'Shea, Graham Donohoe; Lenny Connolly (capt.), Ryan Mahon, Alan Tobin, John Peare; Tomás Mahon, James Peare. Subs. - Dillon Redmond for Tobin (68), Kamil Kytkiewicz for Connolly (81), Lee Jordan for T. Mahon (81).

Referee: Brian Fenlon.

Wexford People

Most Read