Tuesday 20 August 2019

Honours even in derby

Fastnet Rovers 1 Kilmore United 1

There was a large crowd in attendance for the Richie Dwyer Over-35 soccer league game between Fastnet Rovers and Kilmore United recently.

This exciting local derby, that eventually finished one each, was played in great spirits in Rathangan. In the first-half defences were on top on both sides with chances at a minimum.

Fastnet had one good chance from a Dermie Fox shot that the 'keeper parried, and Oscar Pitt's rebound just missed the target.

Just before half-time Kilmore broke down the left and a good cross was finished to the net by Clint Kehoe to put them one up at the break.

The second-half was completely dominated by Fastnet but Kilmore still remained dangerous on the break. Jimmy Benson was in great form in goal as he saved two long-range Liam Murphy efforts, with one parried over the bar that resulted in a corner.

It was from this corner that Murphy got his head on the ball for the equaliser with ten minutes to go. Try as they might they could not find the winner and it finished honours even.

After a great sporting game both teams retired to Rathangan bar for some much-needed refreshments.

Corach Ramblers 2, St. Leonards1 (AET): This was a very entertaining preliminary round shield game between two committed sides. Both played some very good football and created chances but the sides finished level (0-0) at full-time.

Leonards created two good chances through Tommy Maher and a gilt-edged one right at the death was skied over the bar from close range, but the ball may have bobbled just as Matty Flynn was about to pull the trigger.

Corach too created some good chances and should have taken the lead in the first five minutes when the ball somehow stayed out of the Leonards net thanks to some last-ditch defending and a fine save from Paul Whelan.

Leonards took the lead early in the first-half of extra-time after some good hold-up play by Ned Molloy when the ball broke free to Matty Flynn who finished smartly.

The hosts' lead was shortlived when moments later the ball was in the Leonards net after Wayne Donnelly finished from close range.

Corach took the lead in the second-half of extra-time. After a good save from Paul Whelan in the Leonards goal, the ball fell for Jason McCutcheon who made no mistake, giving Corach the lead.

Leonards pushed hard for the equaliser with Paul Byrne rattling the crossbar with moments to go, but Corach held on to take the win and progress to the semi-finals, where they will face the All Blacks.

Wexford People

Most Read