Wednesday 13 December 2017

Honours even in Under-19 ties with Bray

Second-half goals from John Ross Wilson and Dylan Travers sent Bray Wanderers on their way to victory over Wexford Youths in the SSE Airtricity Under-19 League Section 1 match in Ferrycarrig Park on Saturday.

Bray Wonderers 2 Wexford Youths 0

Youths failed to recreate their performance from three days earlier which saw them edge out Wanderers in an exciting 4-3 win. They did start the brighter and could have been a goal up inside 60 seconds after some sloppy Bray defending gifted Adam Barnes with a chance that he pushed wide.

Despite the positive start, Youths were given a scare in the sixth minute when Seán Noble rushed onto a Jordan Brett through ball. His effort beat Wexford 'keeper Aidan Hynes but cannoned back off the woodwork and to safety.

This did nothing to stop the home side's dominance though, as Daryl Power went close before Neil Murphy saw his free kick tipped over the crossbar. Minutes later Barnes was in once again but was this time denied by Corey Chambers in the Bray goal.

As the half drew to a close the Wicklow side began to come into the game, and Troy Carey should have done better when he beat his marker but sent his shot straight at Hynes in the 35th minute. The Youths goalkeeper was tested again just before the half-time whistle when Shane Barnes met a Carey cross with his head.

In a second-half which saw more substitutions than solid opportunities for Wexford, the away side proved much more dominant. They took the lead just four minutes after the re-start when Brett pulled a cross back to the edge of the box which Wilson steered into the bottom left corner.

Bray's lead was nearly doubled moments later when Carey's corner kick was deflected onto the bar and over, and then again from the resulting corner as Brett headed narrowly wide.

Wexford had a brief flurry on the hour mark. Davy Doyle made an impact when he came on from the bench and on one occasion he linked up with Power who fed Casey, with the latter's header cleared off the line.

Three minutes later Eoin McDonald was brought down in the box but his claims for a penalty were quickly dismissed by referee Nicky Boland.

Wanderers finally did strike the crushing blow in the 65th minute. Barnes picked up on a ball played in from the wing and laid a pass off to Travers who, from 20 yards out, hit a right-footed curling effort under the body of Hynes and into the net.

That two-goal deficit proved to be insurmountable for the Ferrycarrig side and Bray went on to control the remainder of the game. Travers, Brett and Noble all had chances to grab a third goal while substitute Dean George blasted one of the home side's rare chances high over the bar.

Wexford Youths: Aidan Hynes, Darren Dempsey, Paul Brennan, Conor Maher, Glen Pullen (capt.), Neil Murphy, Adam Barnes, Dan Brennan, Daryl Power, Seamus Casey, Eoin Donnelly. Subs. - Davy Doyle for Donnelly (46), Eoin McDonald for Dempsey (55), Dean George for Casey (64), Jessie Farrell for Barnes (68), Andrew Wall for Brennan (72), Not used: Adam Doyle, Dylan Furlong.

Bray Wanderers: Corey Chambers, John Ross Wilson, Nathan Brennan, Darragh Noone, Karl Doolin, Paul Murphy (capt.), Seán Noble, Jordan Brett, Shane Barnes, Dylan Travers, Ross Hanley. Subs. - Troy Carey for Hanley (29), Christian Diets for Noble (77), Podge Murphy for Travers (86), Tommy Rowan for Barnes (88), Thomas Walsh for Noone (90). Not used: Ryan Kavanagh.

Referee: Nicky Boland (Wexford).

Bray Wanderers 3, Wexford Youths 4: A goal six minutes into injury time from substitute Neil Murphy had earned Wexford Youths their first win of the campaign in an enthralling SSE Airtricity Under-19 League match at the Carlisle Grounds on Wednesday.

Amazingly three goals were scored in the time added on at the end of the game by referee David Berry, with Seamus Casey firing Youths in front on 91 minutes, and Christian Dietz drawing Bray level two minutes later before Murphy's late, late intervention.

Off the back of an 8-0 drubbing by Cork City just four days earlier, the Wexford side displayed considerable character to bounce back with a victory, and they had to show plenty of resolve throughout the match as well as they trailed 2-0 after just 16 minutes.

With 15 minutes on the clock Shane Barnes found the net for the Seagulls and things got even worse for the visitors a minute later as Troy Carey doubled the Wanderers' advantage.

Given what transpired in Cork, Wexford Youths could have been forgiven for letting their heads drop but they showed bucket-loads of courage to draw level before half-time.

Dean George kept his composure to get Youths back in the game on 32 minutes, and five minutes before the break they drew level with substitute Seamus Casey making his mark.

After a competitive second-half the stirring turnaround looked to be complete when Casey grabbed his second in the 92nd minute to put the Wexford side 3-2 ahead, but the drama didn't end there.

Christian Dietz, who had only been introduced as a substitute a minute earlier, made an instant impact for Bray Wanderers, scoring the equaliser within 60 seconds of entering the fray.

However, Wexford Youths showed they are made of strong material and Murphy incredibly hit the winner in the seventh minute of injury time to round off a thrilling encounter.

Wexford Youths: Aidan Hynes, Darren Dempsey, Paul Brennan, Andrew Wall, Glen Pullen, Dean George, Adam Barnes, Dan Brennan, Daryl Power, Jessie Farrell, Eoin Donnelly. Subs. - Seamus Casey for Farrell, Adam Doyle for Brennan, Neil Murphy for Barnes, Conor Maher for Wall, Eoin McDonald for Donnelly, also Dylan Furlong.

Bray Wanderers: Corey Chambers, Podge Murphy, Nathan Brennan, Tommy Rowan, Thomas Walsh, Paul Murphy, Troy Carey, Darragh Noone, Shane Barnes, Dylan Travers, Seán Noble. Subs. - Patrick Obijuru for Barnes, John Ross Wilson for Carey, Jordan Brett for Travers, Christian Dietz for Paul Murphy, also Ross Hanley, Ryan Kavanagh, Seán Fogarty.

Referee: David Berry.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links