Sunday 22 September 2019

Keohane goal enough for Youths to see off Mervue


JIMMY KEOHANE provided the all-important strike to hand Wexford Youths their first victory of the season as they saw off Mervue United in their Airtricity Division 1 game played in Terryland Park on Friday evening last.

Wexford Youths continued their form which they showed against Shelbourne, claiming the points which help to lift them out of the bottom rung of the table, giving their young side a much-needed boost in the process.

While the Wexford boys finished the game strongly, very little in the way of chances were created through the opening 45 minutes in particular.

Wexford Youths played with a lot of movement with Warren Broaders and Shane Dempsey being particularly prominent, while Anto Russell and Patsy Malone were also very much to the fore, but it was the excellent goalkeeping of Packie Holden that came to their rescue on more than one occasion.

The home side were reduced to ten men as early as the 26th minute when Darren Young was shown a straight red for a crunching tackle on Shane Dempsey.

But there was very little between the sides during that opening half, with Danny Furlong and Jimmy Keohane having a couple of attempts on goal knocked away to safety, while Shane Dempsey was off target with two long-range efforts. That was the best they could produce during this opening spell.

Ten minutes before the break Holden made a top-class save from Ollie Keogh, but Wexford Youths should have taken the lead approaching the break, but once again luck deserted them in front of goal.

Some outstanding outfield play from Shane Dempsey sent Danny Furlong in the clear, but his low drive went the wrong side of the upright, leaving the sides to go in scoreless at the break.

As Wexford Youths, with the extra man, tried to impose themselves on the game, they left themselves exposed at the back, with the home side coming close to taking the lead on the hour mark.

The locals broke quickly out of midfield, leaving Mike Tierney with a great chance, but he smashed his effort against the crossbar with the ball eventually being cleared to safety.

Wexford Youths were getting forward with more confidence. They succeeded in breaking the deadlock on 73 minutes when Jimmy Keohane got on the end of a low Anto Russell cross to divert it to the net.

The home side very nearly had the final say. In the closing minutes they pressed forward in search of an equalising goal, but it was 'keeper Holden who stood tall, pulling off a superb save from Ollie Keogh minutes from the end to secure the three points for his side.

Wexford Youths will now be hoping to maintain their recent good run when they entertain Monaghan United at Ferrycarrig Park on Sunday afternoon next with a 2 p.m. kick-off.