Sunday 20 October 2019

Late goals add woe to Youths

WEXFORD YOUTHS are still seeking their first home win of the season as two late goals handed Waterford United three deserved points from this Division 1 clash at Ferrycarrig Park on Friday night last.

For Wexford Youths their home woe continues. Having taken just one point at home, they looked on course to earn at least a draw despite being under incessant pressure, only to be hit with two late Blues strikes as the visitors eventually turned their dominance into scores.

Wexford Youths opened the game brightly, having two shots cleared off the line during the first 20y minutes as they set about trying to achieve their first home victory of the season.

After just 90 seconds a low Danny Furlong shot brought a fine save out of 'keeper Kevin Burns. Burns, who was to receive a thrigh injury in an accidential collision with Darragh Walshe, went on to have a nightmare few minutes.

Just 13 minutes in, Burns misjudged a Walshe header which was cleared off the line by Paul Phelan, while two minutes later the 'keeper dropped a Shane Dempsey corner, leaving Ben Ryan to hook the ball towards goal, but John Hayes managed to stretch out a leg to knock it to safety off the line.

Wexford Youths must have been left wondering what they really needed to change their home luck as during this spell of ascendancy they could have had two goals. But the let-offs brought more of a sense of urgency to the visitors' play and they stepped up their game considerably as they pushed forward in numbers out of midfield.

Waterford United showed more urgency after these scares, with Willie John Kiely pulling a Paul Phelan cross just wide, while eight minutes before the break, Kiely saw his shot deflected for a fruitless corner by home 'keeper Pakie Holden, leaving the sides going in 0-0 at the interval.

Nine minutes into the secondhalf a Kenny Browne deflection off a Dean Broaders cross rebounded off his own crossbar, while twelve minutes later Brian Nolan drilled a shot just wide at the opposite end as the tempo of the game picked up.

The visitors were enjoying a dominant spell as Paul Phelan forced a superb 68th-minute save out of Holden, but with five minutes remaining disaster struck the home side. A Brian Nolan cross was headed against his own bar by Martin Kehoe, with Paul Phelan heading home the rebound.

Wexford Youths built a number of attacks but were unable to force a breakthrough before the visitors struck for their second goal to secure the points four minutes from the end.

Phelan had a shot beaten away by Holden, only for Maguire to steer home the rebound from close range.

Holden was sent off on a red card for protesting over the goal, which seemed perfectly legitimate, having earlier been booked.

Most Read