Sunday 18 March 2018

Monaghan hit four as Youths fail to deliver

BRENDAN FURLONG At Ferrycarrig Park

NOT for the first time this season Wexford Youths have failed to deliver back-to-back victories as they were totally outplayed by promotion chasing Monaghan United in their Division 1 clash at Ferrycarrig Park on Friday night last.

Wexford Youths controlled the opening 15 minutes and with a little luck in front of goal could have found the net on at least three occasions. But that was as good as it got for the home side and as the game progressed it was the visitors who assumed control and really their eventual victory margin could have been greater such was their second-half dominance in particular.

For Wexford Youths it was a huge disappointment, but it must have been even more disappointing for the 213 attendance, who witnessed the side once again fail to deliver when expected. Although it was against a Monaghan side holding down second place in the table, the Youths have a proud record of upsetting any of the high-flying side on their visit to the Wexford venue.

Apart from that opening spell, particularly when the home side failed to take advantage of three gilt-edged opportunities, there was ever only going to be one result, as the visitors back four was dominant, while they controlled midfield, and with Karl Bermingham always posing a threat up front, it was only a matter of time before the goals arrived.

With so many players having departed the scene, Wexford Youths are now working off the same squad of players each week, and apart from the isolated victory, they lack the experience and physical presence to match most of the opposing sides. Now it's a case of damage limitation for manager Noel O'Connor and his charges as they face into the closing weeks of the season.

Just seven minutes into the game, Anthony Wolfe powered a header from a Gary Sheahan cross over the top from five metres when he should have found the net.

With Shane Dempsey controlling midfield he provided the cross for Dean Broaders who pulled his shot wide from a few metres, when he should at least have found the target, with only the keeper to beat.

Three minutes later Sheahan kept his header too close to keeper Gabriel Sava from about five metres WEXFORD YOUTHS MONAGHAN UNITED who saved comfortably and with it a great opportunity lost of breaking the deadlock.

Monaghan United gradually played their way into the game with Alan Byrne becoming more effective in midfield. After 31 minutes they took the lead in their first real attack of the game. Karl Bermingham cut in from the right before firing a low shot which was palmed away by keeper Packie Holden. Barry Clancy powered in the loose ball which was handled by Martin Kehoe, with Bermingham cooly slotting home the resulting penalty leaving the visitors with a 0-1 halftime lead.Monaghan United increased their lead in the 53rd minute when Aidan Collins powered home a superb right-footed shot from a Barry Clancy cornerkick. Wexford Youths were reduced to ten players after 62 minutes when keeper Packie Holden was red-carded having taken down Philip Hughes, Bermingham tucking the penalty away beyond sub keeper Pa Doyle to make it 0-3. Now down to ten players it was case of damage limitation for the home side as Monaghan United drove forward in waves of attacks, as the back four came under incessant pressure. They eventually creaked with the concession of a fourth goal.

Sub Paul Whelan made it 4-0 on 70 minutes as the visitor's dominance increased when his cross come shot was only helped into the roof of the net by keeper Doyle.

After an off the ball incident, Wexford Youths Anthony Wolfe and Karl Bermingham for the visitors were red-carded.