Thursday 18 January 2018

Moyne master spirites Saints

Dave Devereux

Moyne Rangers celebrate after winning the Wexford Youth Cup final
Moyne Rangers celebrate after winning the Wexford Youth Cup final
Gavin Sheehan of St. Leonards is flanked by Nathan O'Connor andJack Bolger of Moyne Rangers
Mark Rossiter of St. Leonards receives the man of the match award from Mick Larkin of the Wexford League
Nathan O'Connor of Moyne Rangers is ahcsed by Nathan Trilsbach

Late goals from Dylan McVeigh and Joshua O'Byrne saw Moyne Rangers lift the Wexford Youth Cup and break St. Leonards hearts in a sunny Ferrycarrig Park on Saturday evening.

Moyne Rangers 2 St.Leonards 0

McVeigh expertly tucked away the opener on 77 minutes, and with St. Leonards desperately pushing forward in search of an equaliser, Moyne swiftly broke forward and won a penalty, which O'Byrne finished with aplomb.

It was hard on a spirited St. Leonards side as they had done the lion's share of the attacking in the second-half, with, Nathan Trilsbach, Sam Wall and substitute Martin Doyle all going close, but if any side deserved good fortune it was Moyne Rangers, having lost the previous two finals.

In fact, the Enniscorthy side were contesting their fourth final in a row, and sixth in eight seasons, having won the cup in 2009 and 2013.

The first-half was a cagey affair, with Moyne Rangers more comfortable on the ball but St. Leonards looking more of a threat in the final third, and the Saints went close to opening the scoring on eight minutes, but Mark Rossiter's powerful header from a Sam Wall corner was blocked on the line.

Rossiter again had a sight of goal a minute later but he blazed a half-chance wide after being found by Niall Molloy, while in the 25th minute Molloy unleashed a rasping shot from distance after the ball fell kindly into his path, but his well-struck shot fizzed wide of the right post.

The Enniscorthy side were displaying some neat touches and accurate passing but they lacked a real cutting edge, although Aaron Gannon and Steven Kearns did try their luck without troubling netminder Micheál Ryan.

St. Leonards threatened to break the deadlock on 42 minutes when a teasing Gavin Sheehan cross from the right was just begging to be tapped into the net but the ball was just behind three inrushing attackers, while at the other end Cormac Kehoe's attempt to deftly chip the goalkeeper from a tight angle was off target.

St. Leonards began the second-half with real intent and almost made the breakthrough within a minute of the restart, but Nathan Trilsbach drilled his shot wide of the right post having been found by a long ball forward from Adam O'Sullivan.

In the 58th minute Moyne goalkeeper Ronan Kirwan was nearly caught out and had to scramble to divert a Sam Wall free-kick around the post and from the resulting corner St. Leonards came within a whisker of finding the net.

The ball fell to substitute Martin Doyle on the edge of the area and his curling effort came back off the crossbar. Adam O'Sullivan knocked in the rebound but unfortunately for St. Leonards he was flagged offside.

Sam Wall again went close for this season's Youth Division 2 champions but they failed to make their spell of supremacy tell and were punished in devastating fashion on 77 minutes.

Aaron Gannon sent in an inviting cross from the left wing and Dylan McVeigh was on hand to superbly sweep the ball to the net.

St. Leonards threw everything at the Moyne defence in search of an equaliser and they were caught for a second time when Martin Doyle brought down Joshua O'Byrne in the area.

O'Byrne took the responsibility himself and buried the penalty into the right hand corner of the net to seal a memorable victory for Moyne.

Moyne Rangers: Ronan Kirwan, Jack Bolger, Aaron Gannon, Nathan O'Connor, Kevin Quigley, Cormac Kehoe, Darren Fortune, Steven Kearns, Joshua O'Byrne, Dylan McVeigh, James Kelly. Subs. - Luke Carty for Quigley (68), Nathan O'Rourke for Kelly (71), Bobby Keating for Kearns (74), Ryan Larkin for Fortune (79), also Jack Doyle.

St. Leonards: Micheál Ryan, Niall Molloy, Jimmy Sutton, Jack Culleton, Sam Wall, Mark Rossiter, Donal Kiely, Gavin Sheehan, Adam O'Sullivan, Nathan Trilsbach, Ciarán Hartnett. Subs. - Martin Doyle for Hartnett (52), also Stephen Whelan, Paddy O'Mahoney, Oisin Foran, Mark O'Neill.

Referee: Peter Rowlands. Assistant referees: John Diskin and Nicky Boland. Fourth official: Pat Redmond.

Wexford People

Promoted Links