Wednesday 13 December 2017

Murphy's stunner inspires Gorey victory

A Gary Murphy wonder strike was the foundation for an excellent result as Gorey Rangers travelled to the midlands to take on CCFL Senior League side Mountmellick United and came home with a 2-1 victory.

Mountmellick United 1 Gorey Rangers 2

The goalless first-half saw Rangers survive a couple of scares, but Mountmellick for all their endeavour didn't have the right quality to convert a couple of excellent chances.

Overall, it was an even first-half with Rangers themselves missing golden opportunities to go in front with efforts from David Behan and Eoin Kinsella.

In the final ten minutes of the first-half, Rangers pressed hard and it was surprising to see Mountmellick running out of steam as the half came to a close.

The second-half began with Gorey coming close after David Behan forced a brilliant save. The resulting corner led to a scramble on the edge of the Mountmellick box, leading to another corner as Rangers piled on the pressure.

Efforts from Joe Bolger, David Behan and Eoin Kinsella would follow but it was the 65th minute when Rangers finally broke the deadlock with their own piece of quality.

The referee awarded a free-kick for a poorly-timed foul on Conor Casserly. Gary Murphy stepped in, took control, and unleashed an unstoppable drive from 40 yards to give Rangers a 1-0 lead.

On 75 minutes Rangers continued to press and a cross from Eoin Kinsella was headed home by Joe Bolger for their second goal.

Rangers broke again and the excellant Gary Murphy was denied the opportunity to extend the lead further when the referee blew for offside which was a very close call.

Stephen Kinsella returned from injury for the final 15 minutes and his quality had an instant impact on the game, with passes flying out of his back pockets after great runs from Murphy, Woods and Behan.

Equally, Mark Woods' introduction on 80 minutes gave Rangers a different dynamic as Mountmellick struggled to contain his incredible runs down the right.

Mountmellick pulled a goal back two minutes into injury time which proved too late for them to secure any chance of a second goal and force extra-time.

Overall, Gorey Rangers proved to be to big a challenge for their CCFL opponents as Rangers marched on to the fifth round.

Gorey Rangers: Gavin Griffiths, Mark Flanagan, Gary Murphy, Danny Boland, Kevin Kennedy, Adam Terrett, Glen O'Brien, Conor Casserly, Jamie Howard, Joe Bolger, David Behan. Subs: Eoin Kinsella (Adam Terrett), Stephen Kinsella (Jamie Howard), Mark Woods (Glen O'Brien).

Meanwhile, North End bowed out of the competition at the third round stage when they were undone by two late goals away to River Valley Rangers.

Jason Murphy gave the Wexford side a first-half lead but they were rocked back on their heels when River Valley equalised in the 88th minute.

Things got even worse for the Sky Blues moments later when Rangers grabbed a winning goal in injury time.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links