Saturday 20 January 2018

North End lose out to Galway

Brendan Furlong

A goal four minutes into the game ended the cup dreams of junior side North End Utd but despite defeat they kept the flag flying against Premier Division outfit, Galway Utd.,in this Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup second round game played at Terryland Park on Friday night.

Galway United 1 North End United 0

It brought to an end what has been a marvellous season for the Wexford town junior side but on the night they still enjoyed their football as for lengthy periods of this game they outfought and outplayed their much vaunted rivals, and were desperately unlucky not to have brought the Westerners to the south-east for a replay.

With Galway Utd sitting midtable in the Premier Division one expected the homeside to come away with a more comfortable victory but this was not to be for apart from that early opening goal they struggled in front of goal against a North End back four where both Robin Dempsey and Deckie Downes were outstanding.

While North End gratefully accepted this extension to an already hectic season, they must have been a tired bunch going into this game both physically and mentally, given their record number of games for amateur players. However, they put up a marvellous display as they used the occasion to display their skills, and in what was a hectic finish they came ever so close to snatching a draw.

North End did not need to be hit with such an early goal, with Keegan gaining possession working his way in along the endline to beat keeper Lee Walker with his effort from an acute angle, and this after just four minutes, making it 1-0.

But with Gary Dempsey and Shane Dempsey steadying the side in midfield both Paul Murphy and Jason Murphy showed their attacking threat up front, with Paul in particular giving the homesides back four much to think about, but despite this the scoreline remained 1-0 to the break.

The second half saw a huge pick up in the tempo of the game with North End matching their opponents. They restricted the homeside to just a couple of long range efforts on goal while at the opposite end central defender Stephen Walsh got back to clear a Jason Murphy effort off the line.

With the homeside unable to double their advantage, North End continued to press in search of a levelling goal, but late on Paul Murphy was denied a chance through some desperate late defending. Murphy was unlucky with his effort from the edge of the area as he was pressurised by the recovering defence.

So, North End's cup journey is over, but they will look back on what has been the finest season in the history of the club. Manager John Godkin was proud of his sides season and cup effort.

'We showed out there that we are capable of winning one of the major junior cup competitions next season, the Leinster Junior Cup or FAI Junior Cup. It was a marvellous effort from the lads, they did themselves, the club and Wexford junior soccer proud.'

North End Utd: Lee Walker, Warren Broaders (Lee smith 87), Deckie Downes, Robin Dempsey, Lee Aust, John Fenlon (Jason Swords 70), Gary Dempsey, shane Dempsey, Kyle Dempsey, Paul Murphy, Jason Murphy (Lee Wadding 76).

Referee: R Hennessy (Limerick).

Wexford People

Promoted Links