Tuesday 16 January 2018

North End run riot with awesome final display

Dean Goodison

North End United with the latest piece of silverware set to adorn the club’s trophy cabinet
North End United with the latest piece of silverware set to adorn the club’s trophy cabinet
The Duncannon squad which came all the way from Division 2 to contest the Under-15 Cup final

North End United showed why and how they have won an incredible five consecutive doubles with a devastating performance in the Wexford and District Schoolboys Soccer Under-15 Cup final in Newbawn Sports Grounds on Saturday.

North End United 15 Duncannon 0

With 11 men, then later ten, the Wexford town crew were just too good, too clinical and too damn talented to do anything other than completely boss the game and put a dishevelled Duncannon to the sword.

It's rare that North End reach May and play a fellow unbeaten foe. That's exactly the challenge they faced against a club which won Division 2 without losing a game and made the cup decider by winning every encounter by a minimum of three goals.

This was a different animal for Duncannon, a challenge they have never faced before and it was a steep learning exercise. With promotion to the top tier next season they will have to play North End at least twice; it's a challenge, after a long summer of rest, that they might just relish.

Saturday, like so many days before it, belonged to North End. Yet they didn't have it all their own way in the first 30 minutes. At that stage the score stood at 2-0 following goals from Brandon Sinnott and Liam Berry.

It was three goals in as many minutes, just after the half-hour mark, that really killed off Duncannon. Kyle Kennedy grabbed the first, Michael Carroll curled in a second from the edge of the area and Berry nabbed his second to send North End in 5-0 ahead.

Craig O'Reilly, official 'man of the match', made it six just after the re-start and the floodgates opened. Kennedy volleyed in number seven, Berry completed his hat-trick with the next, and Shane Beary-Cahill got the first of his four to make it 9-0.

Duncannon were given a breather when Noel Heffernan was given an unnecessary red card in one of the most sporting games you will ever see. Dylan O'Brien got down well to save Aaron O'Brien's low penalty and keep his side's clean sheet.

The champs still added another six in the final 23 minutes despite being a man light with Beary-Cahill getting the next three before others followed late on from Kalum Broaders, Jamie Dempsey-Doyle and third from Kennedy.

Star man - Kyle Kennedy (North End): almost an impossible task to pick the best player in what was a stunning team performance. Kennedy gets the nod as he combined multiple goals with assists.

North End United: Noel Heffernan; Ayman Yousif, Kalum Broaders, Dylan O'Brien (capt.), Todd Hynes; Kyle Kennedy, Craig O'Reilly, Michael Carroll, Jack White; Brandon Sinnott, Liam Berry. Subs. - Ryan Furlong for Hynes (47), Shane Beary-Cahill for Sinnott (47), Leon Cullen-Nolan for White (47), Fionn Byrne for Yousif (60), Jamie Dempsey-Doyle for Berry (60), also Rhys Doyle, Nathan O'Rourke, Andrew Byrne.

Duncannon: Mark Waters; Deivid Ovsianikovas, Owen Whitty, Kieran White, Adam Waters; Sam Foley, Devin Wall-Walsh, Aaron O'Brien, Evan Dwyer (capt.), Kevin White; Ethan Kehoe. Subs. - Seán O'Grady for Waters, inj. (41), James Walsh for Kehoe (47), Mark Keating for Ovsianikovas (53), Corey Cullen for Foley (67), also Cian Harris.

Referee: Mark Hogan.

Wexford People

Promoted Links