Monday 18 December 2017

Rangers reach last eight of Leinster Junior Cup

This was Gorey Rangers' second game in three days following a 0-0 draw at home to Courtown Hibs on St. Patrick's Day.

Newlands Celtic 3 Gorey Rangers 6

A hat-trick from David Behan, a brace from Glen O'Brien and to finish it off a strike from Damian Truchter sent them through to the quarter-finals of the Leinster Junior Cup following this game in Dublin.

Newlands Celtic were no match for an excellent first-half display and for a rampant Gorey Rangers team who raced into a 3-0 lead inside the first 15 minutes with a superb display of attacking football.

Gorey Rangers' variety in attack left Newlands chasing shadows. Mark Woods' dribble left his full-back behind and his cross was met by Glen O'Brien who volleyed home for the first goal on three minutes.

Five minutes later Glen O'Brien was again on the end of a perfect delivery, this time from the right as he powered his header home from Adam Terrett's perfect cross for 2-0.

On 13 minutes a move through the middle ended with David Behan grabbing a third goal. Gorey simply blew Newlands Celtic away and if it wasn't for Ian Martin between the posts, it could have been a lot worse for Newlands by half-time.

However, right on half-time Newlands missed a good opportunity to pull one back, only for John O'Rourke to pull his shot narrowly wide.

The second-half began with Newlands trying to make a fist of it and it duly paid off when Liam O'Rourke cut in from the left and scored with an excellent strike to reduce the deficit.

Newlands began to gain a foothold in the game and Gorey began to live dangerously, and centre-half Liam O'Rourke's 6'5" frame was a constant threat on set-pieces.

He was intrumental in creating a couple of chances to reduce their deficit even more but Gorey stood firm and on occassions rode their luck. But Gorey found their game again, and the combination of Mark Woods and then Mark Nolan would pay off when his delivery was slotted home by David Behan for Gorey's fourth.

Another delivery from the left would see David Behan complete his hat-trick and give Gorey a 5-1 lead on 75 minutes.

The game turned again when the referee awarded Newlands a penalty, which was finished by John O'Rourke. Gorey responded within minutes when 'keeper Ian Martin was closed down quickly by Glen O'Brien who played Damian Truchter through for the sixth. The referee then awarded Newlands another spot-kick which John O'Rourke once again finished well.

The late penalties were no more than consolation goals for a Newlands side who were second best.

Gorey Rangers: G. Griffiths; E. Kinsella; S. Kinsella; M. Flanagan; M. Nolan; J. Howard; J. Bolger; G. O'Brien; M. Woods; A. Terrett: D. Behan. Subs. - C. Nolan (S. Kinsella); D. Truchter (A. Terrett); C. Sheridan (M. Woods); G. Murphy.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links