Friday 24 November 2017

Rossiter keeps Forth in the race

Brendan Furlong at Murrintown

Denis Murray of Shelburne is tracked by Pádraic Rossiter of Forth Celtic
Denis Murray of Shelburne is tracked by Pádraic Rossiter of Forth Celtic
Eoin Kelly of Shelburne and Paul Cowman of Forth Celtic battle for possession

Darragh Rossiter kept Forth Celtic very much in the promotion race when his two second-half goals handed them all three points from a battling Shelburne outfit in this Wexford Football League Division 1 game in Murrintown on Sunday.

Forth Celtic 2 Shelburne 1

Quite an amazing statistic to emerge from this clash is that Shelburne are still point-less after 16 games and now seem destined for relegation, while the win lifts Forth Celtic's promotion challenge as they head towards the crucial stage of the league campaign.

Forth Celtic are now in a position to stage their promotion challenge, but they found it extremely difficult to shake off their opponents who belied their lowly position with a battling display. The bottom side enjoyed lengthy periods of supremacy and for a spell looked capable of taking something from the game, but in the end they fell to Rossiter's two second-half strikes.

Darragh Rossiter was the hero for his side as he tucked home an equalising penalty after being tumbled in the box, and then two minutes from the end he popped up in the penalty area to steer a low shot to the corner of the net, which gave his side three crucial points.

Shelburne had made a useful start into the strong wind, looking quite dangerous on the counter-attack, but home 'keeper Noel Simpson twice came to his side's rescue with two timely saves. First he got down low to a James Connick shot, while he also had to be smart off his line to deny Eoin Kelly as he was about to settle on a Barry Kelly through ball.

Forth Celtic had started the more purposeful but were wasteful with their possession, particularly in front of goal with both Gary Redmond and Mark Hayes pulling chances wide, while Darragh Rossiter shot inches over from the edge of the area.

But still Shelburne had a real purpose about some of their attacks down either flank. It was from one of those moves that their goal arrived in the 29th minute.

Eoin Kelly made good progress down the right and cut into the area before placing a low ball across the face of the goal that left James Connick with a simple tap-in, giving his side a 1-0 lead somewhat against the run of play.

Forth Celtic's Kevin Price had a header from a Pádraic Rossiter corner kick tipped over by 'keeper Mark Carroll which left it 1-0 at the interval.

On the resumption, just when there was a sense of frustration creeping into Celtic's play, they eventually got back level in the 61st minute.

Darragh Rossiter was felled by 'keeper Carroll as he raced onto a through ball, and from the resulting spot kick Rossiter made it 1-1.

Shelburne saw James Connick fire a good chance of regaining the lead wide, but Celtic's frustration was continuing to grow until Rossiter popped up inside the area to flick home the winning goal two minutes from the end, giving them a deserved three points.

Forth Celtic: Noel Simpson, Paul Cowman, Daragh Kenny, Kevin Price, Mark Doyle, Gordon Simpson, Pádraic Rossiter, Gary Redmond, Darragh Rossiter, Mark Hayes, Michael O'Brien. Subs. - Paul Underwood, Jake Firman, Danny O'Brien, Lee Donohoe.

Shelburne: Mark Carroll, Kevin Collins, Kevin Boland, Shane Brazil, Pádraig Lynch, Barry Kelly, Denis Murray, Mick O'Donnell, James Connick, Eoin Kelly, Eoin Connolly. Subs. - Thomas Connick, Owen Murphy.

Referee: Jimmy O'Neill.

Wexford People

Promoted Links