Monday 22 January 2018

Second win in row for U-17s

Cabinteely comeback in vain

Vinny Quinlan of Wexford Youths tussles with Cabinteely's Alex Aspil
Vinny Quinlan of Wexford Youths tussles with Cabinteely's Alex Aspil
Sam O'Neill of Wexford Youths in a race with Seán Price

Wexford Youths put in a commanding performance in Bunclody on Sunday to claim their second home win in a row in the SSE Airtricity Under-17 Southern Elite League.

Wexford Youths 3 Cabinteely 2

Garrett Larkin's side went at their Dublin opponents from the off and were not flattered by a 3-0 lead early in the second-half. Cabinteely scored two late goals to give Wexford a few nervy moments but it would have been a travesty if the points had not stayed in the south-east.

Playing in summer weather for a change, Youths looked to pass the ball around, get their wingers in possession high up the field and pick intelligent passes in and around their opponents' penalty area.

Their slick brand of football was on show as early as the second minute when Vinny Quinlan worked a yard of space on the right-hand side of the penalty area. His cross was perfect -pacy, direct and right on Ciarán Murphy's head. The Youths winger powered it at goal but 'keeper Shaqulle Khan made a flying stop.

One feature of the opening half was the adventurous runs forward of Jack Brazzill. His long-range effort was saved by Khan in the third minute but he was later heavily involved in a Youths goal. Cian Doyle was next to try his luck but his free-kick sailed about a foot over the crossbar.

Khan was alert again in the twelfth minute to tip a Murphy rocket onto the crossbar but there was nothing he could do seconds later when Quinlan cut in from the right, off-loaded to the left winger in the box and he shot powerfully to the net.

Cabinteely had a couple of half chances as they settled but Wexford extended their lead in the 34th minute. The move started with Brazzill who fed Quinlan, and he in turn picked out Ronan O'Kelly's run. The diminutive attacker controlled with his right and let fly with his left, into the corner of the Cabinteely goal.

The 2-0 interval lead became three in the 52nd minute. Quinlan deserved a goal for the first two assists but made this one all by himself. The former Gorey Rangers player intercepted a misplaced pass, drove at the Cabinteely defence and calmly slotted past Khan from the edge of the area.

Wexford had other chances to add to their lead but couldn't find the net. Cabinteely caused some jitters with their late double but Youths will now go into next week's clash with Waterford in confident mood.

Wexford Youths: Adam Dempsey (capt.); Jack Brazzill, Kallum Broaders, Cian Larkin, Jack Bates; Sam O'Neill, Eddie Black, Cian Doyle, Ciarán Murphy; Ronan O'Kelly; Vincent Quinlan. Subs. - Danny Doyle for O'Kelly, Luke O'Neill for S. O'Neill, Craig O'Reilly for Doyle, Paddy Barron for Larkin, Ryan Burke for Quinlan, also Adham Masoud, Ciarán Sheil.

Cabinteely: Shaqulle Khan; Dylan Fleming (capt.), Robert Keogh, Alex Connolly, Seán Price; Fionn Carroll, Alex Aspil, Niall Barr, Paul Fox; Cian Lynch; Mikey Fegan O'Connor. Subs. - Adam Meegan for Barr, Kevin Ryan for Aspil, Eoghan O'Neill for Fegan-O'Connor, Nikita Pavlov for Lynch, also Daniel Mannerag, Dylan Keegan.

Referee: Nicky Boland.

Wexford People

Promoted Links