Monday 23 October 2017

Staples double helps Corach shock Courtown

Corach Ramblers caused the shock of the day in the Wexford Volkswagen Cup by dumping Premier Division outfit Courtown Hibs out of the competition to book their place in the third round.

Ramblers, who ply their trade in Division 2, carved out a 3-2 victory thanks to a John Staples double and a goal from Jon Reville.

In an all-Premier Division clash, New Ross Celtic edged out Ferns United 2-1, with Anthony Feeney and Seán Culleton getting their goals and Robert Vickers replying for Ferns.

Last season's beaten finalists, North End United, had an easy passage to the next round when beating Rathnure 7-1.

However, it wasn't until the second-half that the floodgates opened with Andy Moore (two), Jason Murphy, Robin Dempsey, Alan Colgate, Adam Beary and Lee Walker scoring for the Wexford town side.

Bree United got the better of Rosslare Port 3-0 thanks to a Seosamh Cash double and a goal from Jason Kearns.

Bridge Rovers saw off the challenge of Carne 5-2, with Daniel Murphy, Kevin Byrne, Niall Murphy, Kevin Murphy and Shane Murphy hitting the back of the net for the Castlebridge men.

Ballymurn needed a mammoth penalty shoot-out to shake off the attentions of New Ross Celtic B, eventually prevailing 7-6 on penalties after 18 spot-kicks had been taken.

The sides were deadlocked at 2-2 after extra-time, with Mark Lee and Keith Katus scoring for Celtic, and Eoghan Kehoe and Billy Roche replying for Ballymurn.

Moyne Rangers B needed extra-time to see off Cushinstown, winning 2-1 with goals from Brendan Dunne and Robbie Clifford.

Elsewhere, Fastnet Rovers beat St. Joseph's 3-0 with all the goals coming inside the opening 30 minutes.

Garry Doran opened the scoring and Lee Jordan added a second with a great strike from the edge of the box, before Declan Colfer also got his name on the scoresheet.

Wexford Albion progressed after overcoming Rosslare Port B, while Ballagh were awarded a walkover.

Wexford People

Most Read