Friday 18 October 2019

Stubborn Taghmon are no match for Rosslare


THREE second-half goals helped Rosslare Strand to collect their first points of the campaign as they eventually saw off a stubborn Taghmon United challenge in this Wexford Football League Division 1 clash at Rosslare on Sunday morning last.

The seasiders, who have lost three players since the start of the season after emigrating to Australia, saw their blend of experience and youth eventually bring their game together, as they went on to totally dominate the second 45 minutes. Their quick, accurate passing eventually helped them to unhinge the opposing defence, as they hit back with three excellent second-half goals.

The overwhelming dominance of Taghmon United through the opening period suggested they were on course for a comfortable victory, but they were rocked by the ferocity of the home side's second-half comeback, which left them without a point and shattered on the final whistle.

Throughout the first-half Taghmon did all of the attacking play, taking the lead as early as the eighth minute when Shane Power lobbed beautifully over advancing 'keeper Ian Tormey into the opposte corner of the net. They went on to play the slicker and sharper football but they must have been left pondering their failure to add to that early lead at the break.

The home side had some narrow escapes, with 'keeper Tormey making an excellent save from Malcolm McLoughlin after 20 minutes, while nine minutes later it was the turn of Daniel Stenning to find himself in space, but his lob beat the 'keeper drifted just over the crossbar. With the home side showing little initiative up front, it was Taghmon who created a further chance to stretch their lead, but Stenning was just wide with his effort from inside the area, leaving it 1-0 at the interval.

The home side made changes in personnel at the break, introducing Gavin Kinsella and Deckie Tormey. This brought a huge improvement to their game as Kinsella looked dangerous breaking forward out of midfield. Just one minute into the second period, Kinsella had a superb shot pushed around the post by 'keeper Seán Roche for a fruitless corner but it served notice of what was to follow.

Credit to the seasiders as they had now grasped the game, storming all over their opponents and getting a deserved equaliser after 48 minutes when Kinsella turned in a low Stephen Mullally cross. Increasing the pressure, they should have taken a 57th-minute lead but Mullally pulled his shot wide when he ought to have scored.

However, just two minutes later, the home side took a deserved lead. Kevin Collins fired over an excellent cross but unfortunately for centre-back Jason Mulligan, in attempting to head away for a corner he only succeeded in powering the ball into his own net, making it 2-1.

Taghmon tried desperately hard to regain the initiative but they were being outplayed in midfield, only succeeding in getting in a couple of long-range efforts, before the home side sealed their first points of the campaign, with experienced centre-back Derek Foley toe-poking the ball over the line after the defence had failed to clear a Danny O'Reilly corner kick.

Most Read