Sunday 26 January 2020

Ten men triumph

Adamstown 5 Corach Ramblers 3

Diarmuid Murphy of Adamstown tackles Jack Anglim
Diarmuid Murphy of Adamstown tackles Jack Anglim
Paddy Doyle takes a tumble while tackling Evan Sinnott-Colfer
Pat Finn of Corach Ramblers evades the challenge of Adamstown’s Jack Kelly
The Adamstown prior to Saturday’s Under-15 league success
The Corach Ramblers crew

Dean Goodison

Adamstown made light of a lack of numbers as they secured a stunning victory over Corach Ramblers in Under-15 Division 2 of the Wexford and District Schoolboys Soccer League on Saturday.

Playing with ten men at any stage in a game drains and tears at legs, but hosts Adamstown never allowed any negativity to creep into their play and were full value for just their second league victory of the season.

It all started in the head. From the first whistle they were positive, setting up to attack their local rivals.

Other teams would have funnelled back numbers and looked to snatch a point, but Adamstown's management had other ideas.

The home side recognised that their strength lay in going after a game and they did just that. Diarmuid Murphy and Vitali Grigorjevs were exceptional in the front third of the field but they didn't do it all on their own.

Behind them the back three set the basis for the win. There was no nonsense back there, as they looked to feed the midfield quickly but with accurate passes and it helped them spring from deep time after time.

Ramblers had the early chances with Cody Meyler coming just inches away from chipping a stranded Cian Walsh in the fifth minute. However, Adamstown settled and scored two quick, clinical goals.

Grigorjevs netted on both occasions, within 60 seconds. The first was a calm close-range finish after Diarmuid Murphy's shot rebounded off the post, and the second came with a cool low strike from James Kelly's feed.

Midway through the period Corach halved the deficit. Ben Smith stood up to a free-kick on the left of goal and thundered it to the Adamstown net. Three minutes later the same player sent in a corner that Dylan Murphy headed in off the post to make it 2-2.

The next goal was clearly going to be crucial and there were few chances of note until the hosts regained the lead right on the stroke of half-time. Matthew O'Neill's long ball from deep fell to Diarmuid Murphy and he tapped home from close range.

Ramblers went looking for the equaliser early in the second-half and probably would have got it had it not been for a stunning last-ditch tackle on Pat Finn by Jack Kelly.

When the game's sixth goal came it was at the other end two minutes later when Matthew O'Neill flashed home a rocket of a free-kick from 35 yards out.

Grigorjevs fired home Murphy's cross, completing his hat-trick with seven minutes left to put the result beyond doubt at 5-2.

To their credit, Corach continued to battle and pulled a late goal back when Murphy dinked home his second, but it was too little, too late to change the outcome.

Adamstown: Cian Walsh; Colin Stevenson, Jack Kelly, Tiernan Delaney (capt.); Kyle Banville-Smith, Matthew O'Neill, James Kelly, Paddy Doyle; Diarmuid Murphy; Vitali Grigorjevs.

Corach Ramblers: Philip Roche; Evan Sinnott-Colfer, Michael Dundon, Jack Anglim, Michael O'Dwyer; Cian O'Brien, Pat Finn, Seán Fleming, Ben Smith; Cody Meyler, Dylan Murphy.

Referee: Willie Doyle.

Wexford People