Saturday 16 December 2017

U-15 boys lose pole position

Wexford F.C. 0 Waterford F.C. 2

Brody Murphy (right) in a tussle with Waterford’s Killian Griffin
Brody Murphy (right) in a tussle with Waterford’s Killian Griffin
Rian Fitzpatrick has time to launch an attack for Wexford F.C.

Wexford fell to a second straight defeat as they lost their grip on top spot in the SSE Airtricity League Under-15 Group 3 in Ferrycarrig Park on Tuesday.

The first meeting between the pair, a week and a half earlier, had resulted in Wexford's first defeat of the campaign and history repeated itself again, this time on home turf.

For a while things had looked rosy for Ferrycarrig's newest eleven, but now these two defeats on the bounce have plunged them into a battle with Waterford and Limerick, a battle only two of the teams will survive to make progress.

They will take some solace from the fact that they have already beaten their remaining four opponents once, so repeating this feat would see them qualify, almost certainly in pole position.

They'll definitely be happy to see the back of their south-east rivals, who started stronger against a much-changed Wexford side.

Both goals came in the first-half, both in very similar circumstances, with crosses from the right side being finished at the back post. Ian Byrne found the head of Charlie Binions to nod past David Murphy in the home goal to break the deadlock.

Byrne was the supplier again for the second. This time his cross, a little deeper on this occasion, picked out Kacper Zajac who controlled and finished confidently on the 27-minute mark.

Unfortunately, refereeing inefficiency was once again present. Wexfordman John Diskin, unaware of the length of the half, attempted to blow for the interval five minutes early. Proper order was eventually restored when Wexford's coaching staff made it clear to him that he had been mistaken.

When the interval finally did come and go, Wexford looked like a new team after the re-start. The blues barely left their half for the entire 40-minute period but just did enough to keep Wexford at bay.

Goalkeeper Kyle Shelly certainly played his part in that, as he dominated his area as Wexford's onslaught began. James Dowling made an impact from the bench on the left side but lacked an end product before Luke Greene's intelligent back heel almost found its way past Shelly.

Brody Murphy was another who lacked a killer touch, as he could only fire wide after capitalising on a rare Shelly error while Evan Farrell blasted into the side-netting from close range.

Wexford: David Murphy; Rian Fitzpatrick, Cormac Doyle, Kyle Scallan (capt.), Darragh McGuire; Luke Greene, Graham O'Reilly, Darragh O'Donoghue, Cian Kinlough, Cormac Bruce; Brody Murphy. Subs. (rolling) - Seán O'Brien-Murphy, Shane Gibson, Dylan Whelan, Brian Byrne, Darragh Levingston, Evan Farrell, James Dowling.

Waterford: Kyle Shelly; Killian Griffin, Cian Browne, Donal Porter (capt.), Sam Morrissey; Scott Delahunty, Kacper Zajac, Kyle Cuddy, Charlie Binions, Jack Deegan; Ian Byrne. Subs. (rolling) - Abel Alabi, Robert Bulmer, Dean Larkin, Tega Agberhiere, Seán Maher, Ethan Flynn.

Referee: John Diskin (Wexford).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links