Monday 18 December 2017

U17s ship heavy defeat

Dean Goodison

Wexford Youths endured a tough closing fixture in the SSE Airtricity Under-17 Southern Elite League as they slumped to a heavy loss to a physical, talented UCD side in Ferrycarrig Park on Sunday.

UCD 5 Wexford Youths 0

Garrett Larkin's boys gave a good account of themselves when they travelled to Belfield midway through the season, eventually losing a cracking game 4-1. However, this performance was a little short of that as the south Dublin side completely bossed the game.

It's hardly a surprise that the home side looked bereft of confidence. This was Wexford's seventh loss in a row in the league.

They were two down inside 15 minutes as Ryan Meaney and Seán McDonald found a way past Adam Dempsey.

It could have been worse at the break had the Youths stopper not made several fantastic saves, with Meaney, Jack Ryan and Neil Farrugia all squandering good chances to add to the visitors' advantage.

Two minutes after the break it was 3-0. Farrugia was fouled on the left wing, Jake Ryan crossed the resulting free-kick which fell to Luka Lovic, and the UCD captain smashed a half-volley to the roof of the hosts' net.

When Danny Doyle was fouled on the right wing in the 53rd minute, Jack Bates sent a tantalising free-kick across the face of the goal but no Youths attacker could get a telling touch. It was as close as they would come to a goal in the second period.

Less than a minute after coming on for the injured Cian Foley, the unlucky Stephen Kearns dislocated his left shoulder. After getting it put back in he attempted to continue, even sheepishly walking over to take a throw-in a minute later.

Mercifully, referee Brian Fenlon gave the throw to UCD once Kearns had retrieved the ball, and Larkin called his substitute ashore moments later to prevent any further damage.

Farrugia burst past a re-jigged defence on the left to make it 4-0 in the 63rd minute. Less than 60 seconds later Adam Dempsey took his eye off Sam O'Neill's back-pass, and it rolled under his foot all the way to the net to round out the scoring.

The result means Wexford finish tenth of twelve in the table and will now drop into the shield competition. The draw will take place during the week with Youths looking for a reasonable pairing as they go in search of a little late-season momentum.

Wexford Youths: Adam Dempsey (capt.); Kallum Broaders, Paddy Barron, Cian Foley, Jack Bates; Sam O'Neill, Mikey Carroll, Craig O'Reilly, Liam Berry, Adham Masoud; Danny Doyle. Subs. - Stephen Kearns for Foley, inj. (57), Ronan O'Kelly for Kearns, inj. (61), also Cian Larkin.

UCD: Finn McGowan; Evan Farrell, Dan Mullen, Luke Boore, Mark Dignam; Yaya Camera, Luka Lovic (capt.); Ryan Meaney, Jack Ryan, Neil Farrugia; Seán McDonald. Subs. - Charlie Smith for Farrugia (67), Seán Quinn for Camara (74), Luke Hannigan for McDonald (74), John O'Keane for Meaney (79), Dylan Reilly for Ryan (82), also Dylan Rowe, Seán Prenter.

Referee: Brian Fenlon.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links