Tuesday 21 November 2017

U-19s earn derby draw

Youths collect their first point

Jason Goodison at Ferrycarrig Park

Wexford Youths earned their first point of the season on Saturday when they played out a hard-fought draw with Waterford United in the SSE Airtricity U-19 League Southern Elite Division in Ferrycarrig Park.

Wexford Youths 1 Waterford United 1

Youths had taken the lead in the 72nd minute through Eoin McDonald but were pegged back late on when substitute Alan Fitzsimmons slotted home from close range.

The match started speedily with both teams spurning attempts inside the first 90 seconds.

Firstly, Youths went close through Jessie Farrell and shortly afterwards the visitors had an opportunity but Dean Walsh half-volleyed high over the bar.

The away side began to settle and won an early corner when Dean Walsh's cross was blocked after the forward made a dangerous run into the youths penalty area.

Owen McCormack headed wide from the resulting set piece.

Six minutes later a high ball into the box was met by Sean Duffey whose header cannoned off the crossbar - a let off for they Ferrycarrig club.

The home side, alerted by Waterford's near miss, almost saw the net bulge when Adam Doyle latched onto an Adam Barnes cross and drilled a shot just over.

Youths went close again in the 33rd minute when Daryl Power played in Dan Brennan at the end of a good passing move only to see his shot saved by Cormac Heinen in the Waterford goal.

The half came to a close after the away side had hit the bar for the second time, on this occasion courtesy of the left foot of Kyle Doherty.

The second period began considerably slower than the first and it wasn't until the 64th minute that either team had a shot on goal. That shot fell to Duffey and it was blasted well over.

But then, seven minutes later the game came to life. Wexford won a corner which was delivered by Power.

The cross beat the cluster of players on the penalty spot and fell to Eoin McDonald who had arrived around the back.

McDonald controlled and took a shot which deflected off United defender Dylan Walsh and into the bottom corner of the net.

Waterford almost made an immediate response. A Dara Keane cross found Walsh who took a touch before beating his marker and sending another shot onto the woodwork.

Moments later, United did finally get what they deserved.

Sean Cooke picked up the ball 30 yards out, his miss-hit shot beat the defence and fell perfectly into the path of substitute Alan Fitzsimmons who confidently placed the ball past the advancing Dylan Furlong in the Youths goal.

It could have gone either way in the final minutes.

Power almost put the Ferrycarrig side back in front but his shot whistled by the left post and Furlong saved well for Youths to deny Walsh.

Waterford had one final chance to take all three points deep into injury time but again Walsh failed to convert.

Wexford Youths travel to Cork City next and will hope to build on Saturday's promising display and taste their first victory of the season.

Wexford Youths: Dylan Furlong, Darren Dempsey, Adam Doyle, Conor Maher, Glen Pullen (capt.), Eoin McDonald, Adam Barnes, Andrew Wall, Daryl Power, Jessie Farrell, Dan Brennan. Subs: Cian Doyle for Barnes (45), Owen Donnolly for Farrell (45), Dean George for Wall (74), Neil Murphy for McDonald (79). Conor Sutton for Brennan (81), also, Ryan Delaney, Aiden Hynes.

Waterford United: Cormac Heinen, Dylan Walsh, Sean Duffey, Owen McCormack, Roy Butler (capt.), Sean Cooke, Adam Prendergast, Glen Waters, Jake Mooney, Kyle Doherty, Dean Walsh. Subs: Dara Keane for Mooney (57), Alan Fitzsimmons for Prendergast (68), also, Dylan Kennedy, Sam Sheppard, Emmet Warley, Matthew Sheehan.

Referee: Bobby Fenlon (Wexford).

Wexford People

Promoted Links