Friday 20 September 2019

U-19s go down to Hoops

Wexford Youths slipped to their fifth loss in six SSE Airtricity Under-19 League Southern Elite Section games against hosts Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght Stadium on Saturday.

Shamrock Rovers 5 Wexford Youths 1

The Hoops were without star striking duo Seán Boyd and Aaron Dobbs after their recent promotion to the first team but still had too much quality for a Youths side seriously lacking in confidence.

The first-half was actually a pretty even affair with both sides having their chances. However, when things are going against a team their mistakes always seem to be punished and that's exactly what happened to the visitors.

Wexford were on the attack down the right-hand side but contrived to give a sloppy ball away. Rovers broke up field with Dean Kivlehan feeding Jamie Aherne, and the home attacker made no mistake with a calm strike past Dylan Furlong.

While Conor Sutton was forced to clear off the line at the other end, as the half wore on it was Youths who actually shaded the good chances. Martin O'Connor saw his panicked effort fly up and over the bar before Adam Rochford had a dangerous shot blocked away.

Trailing 1-0 at the interval, the next goal was clearly going to be vital, and it was Rovers who got it early in the second-half. This time it was Darragh Gibson who headed in substitute Richie English's cross to make it 2-0.

As the heads slumped, Shamrock Rovers sensed blood. Another mistake in the Youths defence allowed Dean Dillon to fire home the home team's third. With hopes fading, Wexford pushed men forward, looking for a way back into the game.

Paul Brennan forced Mikey Quinn into a save while Eoin Stokes cleared off the line moments later. However, when the goal came it was at the other end as Jamie Wilson broke through and calmly beat Furlong.

Things got worse for Wexford when Paul Brennan was sent-off for a second bookable offence. Yet they did get a goal back when Under-17 Vincent Quinlan went through one-on-one with Quinn and beat the Rovers stopper.

The Tallaght team made it 5-1 late on when Eoghan Morgan's shot deflected off Owen McCormack and flew into the roof of the net.

Wexford have a break this coming week but returning to action with a home tie against Galway on August 6, before two win-able away games against Cabinteely and Cobh to follow.

Wexford Youths: Dylan Furlong; Paul Brennan, Michael Molloy, Conor Sutton (capt.), Owen McCormack; Martin O'Connor, Eoin Donnelly, Vincent Quinlan, Seán Duffy; Adam Rochford, Dean George. Subs. - Dan Brennan for Duffy, Cormac Kehoe for Rochford, Paul Carton for O'Connor, Neil Murphy for George, also Adam Dempsey.

Shamrock Rovers: Mikey Quinn; Eoghan Morgan, Eoin Stokes (capt.), Darragh Gibson, Gavin Kearney; Freddie McCready, Jamie Hamilton, Luke Rossiter, Dean Kivlehan; Shane Hanney, Jamie Aherne. Subs. - Richie English for McCready, Cian Collins for Kearney, Dean Dillon for Hanney, Jamie Wilson for Gibbons.

Referee: Alan Patchell.

Wexford People