Wednesday 21 August 2019

Wexford Youths lose out to Dundalk

Andrew Wall (Wexford Youths) Georgie Poynton (Dundalk)
Andrew Wall (Wexford Youths) Georgie Poynton (Dundalk)
Johnny Bonner (Wexford Youths) Kurtis Byrne(Dundalk)
Andrew Mulligan(Wexford Youths) Georgie Poynton(Dundalk)
Lee Grace (Wexford Youths) Kurtis Byrne (Dundalk)
James Darmody(Wexford Youths) Darren Meenan(Dundalk)
Lee Grace(Wexford Youths) Kurtis Byrne(Dundalk)
Danny Furlong (Wexford Youths) Anton Kelly_Georgie Poynton (Dundalk)
Wexford Youths Stand

By Brendan Furlong in Ferrycarrig Park

IT must be a worrying time for Wexford Youths as they continued their miserable start to the season suffering a fourth successive defeat at the hands of a depleted Dundalk outfit in their Leinster Senior Cup quarter-final game played in Ferrycarrig Park on Monday night.

Wexford Youths 0 Dundalk 3

Having lost their opening two league games, along with being knocked out of the EA Sports Cup by Munster Senior League side, UCC, this was always going to be a difficult task for they had defeat staring them in the face once the draw was made, but they were offered some hope when the visitors Manager, Stephen Kenny, chose to avail of his extended squad.

But Wexford Youths frustration was to continue in their efforts to end their barren run as they were completely overwhelmed by their physically stronger and more skilful opponents, whose dominance was even more pronounced than the three goal victory margin suggests.

The homesides cause was not helped five minutes before the break when they were reduced to ten players, Ryan Delaney being dismissed on a straight red card, having hauled down Jake Kelly as he moved towards the danger zone, leaving Wexford official Bobby Fenlon, with no option but to brandish red under the last man back rule.

Although it was hard for Wexford Youths they did open brightly through the opening ten minutes with Andy Mulligan having a low shot well held by visiting keeper Gabriel Sava, but with the visitors wide players, Jake Kelly and Paddy Barrett continually pressing forward they began to expose the homesides back four as they were totally dominant in midfield.

Fifteen minutes into the game, George Poynton pulled a right footed shot outside the right hand post when placed to the left of goal, but they only had to wait a further minute before they opened their account. Having built a promising attack down the right it was Paddy Barrett who sent over a delightful cross that allowed Ciaran O'Connor to rise unchallenged to powerfully head home from ten meters.

For the remainder of the half Graham Doyle was the busiest of the keepers as he had to affect saves from Kelly and Paul Finnegan, while just on the break doyle got down well to keep out a Kurtis Byrne effort leaving it 0-1 at the interval, with the homeside not having a direct shot on Savas' goal.

Against ten man for the second half, Dundalk used the wide open spaces of the pitch to stretch the homeside at every opportunity. They extended their lead twelve minutes into the second half. Jake Kelly had a low shot tipped around the post by keeper Doyle. From the ensuing corner kick, Anton Reilly floated over a ball into the goalmouth and with the homeside unable to get it clear it was Shane Grimes who knocked the ball home from a few meters to make it 0-2.

While the Youths showed real tenacity in continuing to battle, Dundalk were now able to create the time and space to dominate possession, closing out the game with a Kurtis Byrne goal one minute from the end as he beat keeper Doyle at his near post with a powerful right footed effort.


Wexford Youths: Graham doyle, Conor Whittle, Craig McCabe, Ryan Delaney, James Dermody, Johnny Bonner, Lee Grace, Andrew Wall, Danny Furlong, Aidan Keenan, Andrew Mulligan. Subs: David doyle, Paul Brennan, Jordan Brett, Danilius Niekis, Conor Maher, Philip Drohan.

Dundalk: Gabriel Sava, Kurtis Byrne, Shane Grimes, Paddy Barrett, Jake Kelly, Ciaran O'Connor, Darren Meehan, George Poynton, Paul finnegan, Anton Reilly, Garrett Craven. Subs: Ben Kelly, Alex Barry, Carlton Ubafzunome, Craig Doherty, Colvin Murphy.

Referee: Bobby Fenlon.

Wexford People

Most Read