Saturday 25 November 2017

White's double shocks Rangers

Division 1 strugglers Adamstown caused an upset on Sunday as they saw off top flight side Rosslare Rangers in the third round of the Wexford Volkswagen Wexford Cup.

Ian White scored both goals in a 2-0 triumph, while Adamstown also had their goalkeeper to thank as he saved two penalties.

Corach Ramblers were another side to knock out opponents from a higher division as they ran out comfortable 3-0 winners against St. Leonards.

Conor Neville opened the scoring for the hosts, while Jon Reville and Niall Harney added to their tally.

Shane Dempsey was on form for last season's runners-up North End United, netting a hat-trick in his side's 5-1 win over Killenagh, with Andy Moore and Kyle Dempsey getting their other goals.

North End C joined their clubmates in round four by winning 3-0 away to Enniscorthy Town, with Ciarán Carty netting a double and Jay Leniston joining him on the scoresheet.

New Ross Celtic also booked their place in the next round by edging out St. Cormac's 2-1, with Stephen O'Leary and Alan Rhodes scoring for the Barrowsiders.

Moyne Rangers had little trouble in overcoming Bridge Rovers B, winning 6-1 with goals from Peter Marsden (two), Dillon Redmond, Paul Devereux, James Peare and an own goal.

Moyne's second string also progressed by beating New Ross Town 3-0, with Niall Thorpe netting a double and Brendan Dunne getting their other goal.

Premier Division side Kilmore United were pushed all the way by Fastnet Rovers, who ply their trade in Division 2A, before winning 4-3 after extra-time.

Paul Murphy gave Kilmore the lead but Kevin Hannigan drew Fastnet level after a good passing move.

The top flight outfit then regained the lead through Darren Naugton, only for Declan Colfer to equalise before half-time.

An Aaron Goff strike nosed Kilmore back in front in the second-half but again Fastnet fought back, with Paul Moore forcing extra-time.

Shane Goff then put Kilmore ahead for a fourth time in a pulsating derby match and despite late pressure from Fastnet they held on to progress to the next round.

Curracloe United edged out The Ballagh 2-1, with the seasiders getting on the scoresheet through A.J. Lehane and an own goal.

Terry Gainfort scored both goals for Bridge Rovers in their 2-0 win over Bree United B.

Forth Celtic needed extra-time to shake off the attentions of Tombrack, with Gordon Simpson and Darragh Rossiter (penalty) getting the goals in a 2-0 victory.

The Murrintown club were celebrating on the double as their B team also made it through, edging out Bree United 4-3 with goals from Jack Roche, Adam Murphy and Shane Parle (2).

Ballymurn came through a mammoth penalty shoot-out to edge out Ajax Athletic after a 1-1 draw. Mark Dempsey levelled for Ballymurn during the game but there was plenty of drama to come in the shoot-out, with Ballymurn prevailing 7-6.

The sides took eleven penalties each and Ballymurn goalkeeper Aaron Stafford was the hero, scoring the eleventh and then saving from the Ajax netminder.

Raheen scraped through 2-1 against Wexford Albion, with the Wexford town side missing a 90th-minute penalty. Kenny Hunt was earlier on target for Albion.

Wexford People

Promoted Links