Monday 16 September 2019

Youths held by ten men

Wexford Youths were left disappointed with a draw against ten-man Mervue United in the SSE Airtricity Under-17 Southern Elite League at Ferrycarrig Park on Saturday.

Wexford youths 3 Mervue United 3

Youths came into the clash on a three-game losing streak since the league resumed at the end of June, while Mervue are now five matches unbeaten after putting in a spirited display a man light in the second period.

The visitors went close early on when Conor Farrell shot wide under pressure, but Wexford took the lead in the eighth minute when Adham Masoud blocked a poor kick-out by Cian Mulryan into Danny Doyle's path, and the striker coolly slotted past the United stopper.

After Jack Brazzill fired over, Mervue went down the field and won a penalty when Farrell was felled, however, Tommy Molloy drilled the spot-kick over the crossbar to the relief of the home support.

There were no such mistakes at the other end four minutes later. Ronan Ashgari's back-pass was woefully under-hit, and Masoud got to the ball before Mulryan and was taken down. Cian Doyle converted the resulting penalty to make it 2-0.

However, the two-goal advantage lasted just minutes as Ronan Manning raced onto a through ball and chipped over Adam Dempsey to the Youths net. Two minutes later and Mervue were level, this time Manning playing provider for Josh Quinlavan who finished with a low shot.

Sam O'Neill got away one-on-one with the visiting 'keeper towards the end of the half but Mulryan made an impressive save. Just before the interval Mervue's Alex Ariguzo was given a straight red card for striking an opponent.

Two minutes into the second-half Wexford regained the lead. A low Kyle Kennedy cross beat Mulryan and Danny Doyle tapped home from close range for 3-2. Youths had chances to double their lead when Masoud scuffed wide and Doyle was forced out by Mulryan.

With their only real chance of the half, Mervue made it three-all. Substitute Elias Kunz and Manning combined to release Wilson Waweru and he chipped over the onrushing Dempsey to level.

Youths had chances to win it. Masoud was denied by Mulryan, as was Eddie Black, while Craig O'Reilly shot wide from long range but the game eventually petered out to a draw.

The result leaves Youths eighth in the twelve-team league, six points behind Mervue in seventh. Next up for Garrett Larkin's side is a trip to Tallaght to face Shamrock Rovers on Sunday afternoon.

Wexford Youths: Adam Dempsey (capt.); Jack Brazzill, Cian Larkin, Paddy Barron, Jack Bates; Kyle Kennedy, Craig O'Reilly, Sam O'Neill, Cian Doyle; Adham Masoud, Danny Doyle. Subs. - Stephen Kearns for Brazzill, Eddie Black for C. Doyle, also Ronan O'Kelly, Luke O'Neill, Michael Carroll, Ciarán Sheil.

Mervue United: Cian Mulryan; Ronan Ashgari, Adam Rooney, Alex Ariguzo, Caelum Crowe; Josh Quinlivan, Wilson Weweru, Tommy Molloy (capt.), Ronan Manning; Aaron Molloy, Conor Farrell. Subs. - Elias Kunz for Molloy, Conor Higgins for Farrell, Hakeem Ryan for Molloy.

Referee: Brian Fenlon.

Wexford People