Friday 23 August 2019

Youths off mark

Resounding win over Ramblers

Two goals from centre-forward Danny Furlong helped to steer Wexford Youths to their first league victory of the Airtricity League Division 1 campaign away to Cobh Ramblers on Saturday.

Cobh Ramblers Wexford Youths 4

A brace of goals from Furlong along with efforts from Eric Molloy and Aidan Keenan proved enough to cancel out Darren Murphy's effort to allow Shane Keegan's side gain their first three points, having lost their opening two games.

The tie was only six minutes old when Wexford opened the scoring. The home defence failed to deal with a corner kick which fell to the feet of Keenan who found the target, beating 'keeper David Browne from twelve yards.

Wexford Youths were controlling the game through the opening stages, managing to increase their lead after eleven minutes. A Danny Furlong free kick rebounded out into the path of the inrushing Eric Molloy who crashed the ball high into the net from close range.

The visiting Youths should have ensured victory on the quarter hour mark when a through ball from Andy Mulligan found Furlong, but his shot from a one-on-one situation was blocked by the advancing Browne.

Cobh had a rare chance to pull a goal back but Robert Stanton's shot was blocked on the line by a Youths defender, with the ball eventually being cleared to safety.

Wexford Youths were posing a real threat from dead ball situations due to Furlong's quality deliveries, and Keenan saw a header from one of them crash off the crossbar after 30 minutes.

But the pressure from Wexford was sure to result in another goal and they got their reward just two minutes before the break when Keenan dispatched a great cross into the box to the unmarked Furlong who slotted home from just inside the area.

Just on the break Shane O'Connor smashed a shot off the post with 'keeper Graham Doyle beaten, but the Youths were well satisfied to take a 3-0 lead in.

The second-half saw the respective back fours getting a real grip with the result that chances were limited, with Cobh pulling a goal back through Darren Murphy on 80 minutes.

Five minutes later Furlong secured the points with a fine finish from eight metres.

Wexford Youths' comprehensive victory led to the first managerial casualty of the season, just a few weeks old, when the home side's Martin Cambridge tendered his resignation to the committee which was accepted.

Wexford Youths will be hoping to build on this victory with a home fixture against U.C.D. this Friday with an 8 p.m. kick-off.

Support would be appreciated as the Youths try to build their league challenge with back-to-back victories against an attractive college outfit relegated from the Premier Division last season.

Wexfod Youths: Graham Doyle, Conor Whittle, Gary Delaney, Craig Comerford, Lee Grace, Craig Wall, Andy Mulligan, Eric Molloy, Jonny Bonner, Aidan Keenan, Danny Furlong. Subs. - Craig McCabe, Peter Higgins, Conor English, Philip Drohan, James Dermody, Dean Broaders.

Cobh Ramblers: David Browne, Ross McCarthy, Brendan Frahill, Eoghan Murphy, Shane O'Connor, Steven McCarthy, Stephen Kenny, Darren Murphy, Alan O'Flynn, Ronan Stanton, Robert Waters.

Referee: Robert Hennessy.

Wexford People