Monday 11 December 2017

Youths slump to twelfth defeat away to Mervue

WEXFORD YOUTHS slumped to their twelfth defeat when they lost out to mid-table Mervue United in their Airtricity Division 1 game played in Finn Park, Galway, on Friday night last.

After their stirring cup victory over Derry City, the Wexford boys were unable to build on that achievement, with a two-goal blast inside a minute ending their hopes of bringing points home from this game.

With just six points from 14 games, they are now second from bottom, with only goal difference separating them from bottom side, Salthill Devon, leaving them in a precarious position as the league heads into the second half of the season.

These are tough times for Wexford Youths as, their cup exploits apart, the league has been dismal, with their deterioration leaving them with a huge task just to move themselves up the table, as they are now nine points adrift of fourthplaced Athlone Town, with Finn Harps in between on nine points.

Despite this, Wexford Youths played all their good football through the opening 45 minutes, a period in which they created their best chances, as Danny Furlong and Darragh Walshe both forced fine saves out of home 'keeper, Ger Hanley.

As it turned out, neither side managed to break the deadlock, as Packie Holden denied Tom King and David Goldbey with excellent saves, leaving it 0-0 at the break.

Within eleven minutes of the resumption, the home side took the lead, somewhat against the run of play.

A Mark Ludden corner from the right picked out Noel Varley's run to the back post and he powerfully headed into the top corner of the net past a helpless Packie Holden, who could do little to keep the effort out.

Holden's reflexes kept out a Mark Ludden effort, before the home side decided the destination of the points when the Wexford Youths defence lost their concentration.

Mervue's Tom King ran on to a good ball to blast past Holden from close range, making it 20 after 56 minutes.

Wexford Youths managed to provide some fine passages of football but were unable to get the breakthrough they needed, with the home side trebling their lead on 75 minutes when Tom King added his second goal.

Wexford Youths: Packie Holden; Shane Nolan, Dean Broaders, Martin Kehoe, Karl Keogh, Kevin Rowe (Eoin Kinsella, 72), Ben Ryan, Greg Ylverton, Danny Furlong, Darragh Walshe, Muzzy Mullen (Gareth McCurtain, 62).


Wexford Youths have been handed an attractive home fixture against Division 1 promotion hopefuls, Cork City, in the Ford FAI Cup fourth round.

The Youths have yet to record a victory over the Cork side this season, so will see this as an ideal opportunity to continue their cup exploits, particularly after their huge 4-1 home victory over Derry City.

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links