Monday 20 November 2017

St Martin's march on

Alan Aherne

The St. Martin's team who defeated Glynn-Barntown in the Wexford People MFC Premier semi-final last week
The St. Martin's team who defeated Glynn-Barntown in the Wexford People MFC Premier semi-final last week
The Glynn-Barntown team who lost out to St. Martin's in the Premier semi-final. Photos: Ger Leacy

St. Martin's are one step from backing up their 2013 Juvenile crown as they swept aside Glynn-Barntown in the last nine minutes in St. Patrick's Park to book their place in the Wexford People Coiste na nOg Minor football Premier championship final.

St.Martin's 1-12 Glynn-Barnstown 1-06

Darren Codd was the hero that day almost two years ago at the same Enniscorthy venue as his club saw off Taghmon-Camross, and he was invaluable again as his eleven points were simply too many for the Killurin-based side to handle.

Nine came from placed balls which only partly tells the story. Glynn-Barntown may be upset that they gave away so many scoreable infringements but over half of them could be described as 'good' frees to concede.

At the same time every transgression was punished. Codd didn't miss once as eight frees, and a '45, from a range of distances and angles sailed between the posts without even looking like missing.

His six first-half efforts were only enough to keep St. Martin's level at the interval.

Glynn-Barntown actually took the lead early when David Clarke read the hop of James Stafford's long punt forward and hared away to goal past Nicky Greene.

Codd levelled it at 0-3 to 1-0 after 17 minutes and matched scores with Frankie Hynes and Fionn Cooney (two) as the sides went in at the break deadlocked (0-6 to 1-3).

One point each was added, with Cooney replying to a Codd free in kind, when Joe O'Connor was taken down by Nigel Donohoe on his way to goal and the Piercestown-based club were awarded a penalty.

Darragh Rossiter coolly slotted to his left, sending Donohoe the wrong way, to edge St. Martin's 1-7 to 1-4 clear. Yet Glynn-Barntown responded well, notching the next two points through Clarke and Ciarán Joyce to narrow the gap to one with twelve minutes remaining.

Rowan White's black card, which followed an earlier yellow, left Glynn-Barntown one man shy and St. Martin's took advantage with their first point from play through livewire corner-forward Conor Coleman.

Codd added a '45, a free and then two nice points from play in the final few minutes to round out a great evening for his club as they booked their place opposite Abban O'Rahilly's in the county final.

St. Martin's: Nicky Greene; Páuric Rossiter, Johnny Hamilton, Martin Whelan; Rory O'Connor, Aaron Maddock, Maurice Walsh; Conor Firman, Barry O'Connor; Darren Codd (0-11, 8 frees, 1 '45), Joe O'Connor, Darragh Kenny; Conor Coleman (0-1), Darragh Rossiter (1-0 pen.), Peter Barry. Subs. - Michael Codd for Walsh (56), Philip McDermott for Barry (58), Kyle Firman for Kenny (60 + 1), also Cian Ryan, Ciarán Dunne, Stephen Doyle, Cian Kelly, Callum Quirke, Ben Maddock, Adam Cantwell, Shane Parle, Jack Roche.

Glynn-Barntown: Nigel Donohoe; Ger Dempsey, Stephen Lyne, Dylan Lyne; Ben O'Shea, James Stafford, Bill Joyce; Matt Doyle, Kevin Mahoney; Ciarán Joyce (0-1), Rowan White, Frankie Hynes (0-1); Richie Ryan, David Clarke (1-1), Fionn Cooney (0-3, 2 frees). Subs. - David Roche for O'Shea, inj. (21), also John Leacy, Matthew Banville, Cormac Rowe, Daniel O'Regan.

Referee: Anthony Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Promoted Links